Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
2) I'm almost 3000 ft above sea level. I know that for boiling water that makes a difference. May I assume that for ovens that will also make a difference?

I'm going to talk a little about the reasons cooking is different at a higher altitude.

The primary reason is that atmospheric pressure. There's a greater weight of air on me down here at sea level than there is on you up there. Weight of air is called air pressure. So the higher the altitude, the lower the air pressure.

The water boils when the energy from the hot water is greater than the pressure on the water to stay a liquid. What causes that pressure? You got it, air pressure! So at lower air pressure water boils at a lower temperature. That means that to give the same amount of heat to the food in the boiling water you have to cook it for longer.

What other things in cooking are based on air pressure? Leavening. You know, that thing that makes pancakes different from crepes. Baking soda, baking powder, and eggs are used (in different ways, but I'm not going to get into the chemistry right now) to provide pockets of air in the food while it cooks so it will be fluffy when it's cooked. (I don't know which ways one needs to change recipes to adjust for this, though.)

What shouldn't make a difference in the oven? Anything else. So broiling, roasting meats should all be as written.

I hope some of this helps you understand why recipes say to change things.

Good luck!

- Megan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.