No. of Recommendations: 5
2. My point is that options can be used successfully.

I guess my main point was about options being zero sum. The money the buyer makes comes out of the pockets of the seller. It's like in a friendly poker game. The amount of money that the winner takes home is exactly equal to the amount of money that the losers's wallets are lighter by.

In such a contest the party with the greater skill and experience is most likely to be the overall winner. "Old age and experience beats youth and enthusiasm."

You appear to think that I am trying to see (sic) [sell?] you something. I am not.

No, I respond that way to everybody who talks enthusiastically about covered calls.

What I am saying is that one should not automatically dismiss using options; their use can be effective.

My "dismissal" of options isn't automatic, it is from (expensive!) experience of the seldom-mentioned downside & risk of the common popular options strategies--basically any strategy that is discussed on sites like SeekingAlpha.

Look, if you are going to play the options game, you want to be in some area other than the single most popular options strategy of amateur investors. Don't be one of the herd of wildebeest crossing the river--that's where the crocodiles wait for the prey.
Google gives over 393 million hits for "covered calls". Did you try googling "problems with..." like I mentioned?

options use can be effective.

Arguably true.
But how about something where you aren't part of the herd...something that gets only 4000 google hits instead of 400 million? https://www.google.com/search?&q=deep+itm+calls&oq=%... (long dated).
That strategy isn't about getting "almost free" money. It's about non-callable, non-margin leverage. Not a lot of competition there; the "herd" is usually just yourself and one or two other guys.

::sigh:: Now I've gone on too long---but at least it's not on the same soapbox. ;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.