Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
2. Never surprise the other drivers.
Also, not so much a rule as an observation, I pointed out to her that cars have body language and you can frequently predict what a driver will do by how the car is behaving. There are "creepers" that want to pull out in front of you, there are "drifters" who want to change lanes, etc.

I've said this before, but I'd prefer to be around an aggressive driver than a distracted driver any day of the week. Because I can usually predict what the aggressive driver is going to do. It's the distracted/inattentive ones that will surprise you.

Aside from that, I'll share the best piece of advice my father gave me in learning to drive. If you can't see around an obstacle (an overgrown bush at an intersection, a box truck in front of you, etc.) assume there's a car on the other side of it. Or a child chasing a ball into the street. That kind of thinking really forces you to approach the blind situation with an abundance of caution. You slow down, you cover the brake, etc.

Fireball, maybe send 'em to an open wheel racing school? ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.