Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
This was sugested to me as a way to play Bohnanza with little kids by OldManRick on BGG. I thought it had potential as a 2 player variant and can report that it plays very well. DW and I prefer it to the official Bean Duel. It plays in aobut 20 minutes:

------------------------------------------

OldManRick's Two-Player Bohnanza Variant

All the regular Bohnanza rules apply except:

> You don't need to keep your hand in order! You can trade and plant any card in your hand without restrictions.
> Both players start with a free third bean field.
> Use all the beans except Garden and Cocoa.
> Go through the deck only once.

The turn order is as follows.
Each step is done simultaneously by both players, then both players go on to the next step:

1. Trade 2: Give any two of your cards to your opponent.
2. Plant 2: Plant any two of your cards to your three bean fields.
3. Draw 2: Draw two cards from the deck

Game end:

1. When the draw deck runs out, trade 2 and plant 2 one last time.
2. Players may plant as many of the four cards remaining in their hand as they'd like.
3. Harvest all three fields and count coins.
4. To break ties, the player who kept more cards unplayed in their hand at the end of the game wins.

------------------------------------------

Surprisingly, it doens't happen very often that the same two unanted cards get passed back and forth. It is in fact similar to Lost Cities in that your hand gets full of cards you want to save for later and keep from your opponent, and eventually you run out of room and need to make hard choices.

Please give this a try Bohnanza fans and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

- Joe
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.