Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

2) Tower of babble of cellular standards

This is probably the worst problem of all because all the investment in infrastructure will eventually have to be scrapped as people demand access to the new services. (which cannot be supported by the old networks) AT&T Wireless is one of the major losers here.

I take a different view on the "standards" problem. While I agree that certain platforms make the task of upgrade more costly, I can't foresee any infrastructure being scrapped. While it may not be suitable for 3G services, it will not be rendered worthless. There's still demand for basic services, it's just a matter of the potential of this equipment to generate revenue as compared to the cost of upgrade offset by the new benefits. Just like our analog phone lines, there may be future uses for what some think is "junk". A more likely scenario in my mind is the typical phasing out over decades.

Just keeping an open mind...

Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.