Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
20 years ago yesterday is when I first signed up for my Fool account. Not quite sure what I did with it those first couple years, but when I finally got around to stop lurking, you were the ones to take me in and give me a home.

Since then, some have come and more have gone, and I'm in a place I never envisioned being back at the turn of the millennium. But it's been good having you here along the way. Here's to the next 20.

best to all,
dan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Ah yes... 20 years ago I was here mocking Amazon's business model.

I'm an idiot.
Weren't we all? I thought Yahoo! was the future. I was close. 19+ years here.
No. of Recommendations: 1
MicroStrategy is still around!

Chewy.com looks suspiciously like Pets.com sans the sock puppet.

Call and raise!
No. of Recommendations: 3
“In my dreams” never had the life I have now lead. I could not have imagined in my forties, programming in my cube , trying to keep my daughter in her classes, my bosses happy, a social life, a busy treadmill of tasks, that I would be where I am today. I also thank TMF and the shoulders of giants I stood on.

Teddy, got my knee replaced in May, it was almost a non event. My shingles outbreak was longer pain and hassle. Much of my chronic pain has subsided. I can still mow my lawn. But I can’t put weight on knees to weed.

Next month I think I will be 72. I quit keeping track of my age.n Arthritis is more of a bigger issue then I could have imagined. Somehow, things just slip through my fingers. Oh yeah, my daughter complains that I am deaf. I just tell her to quit talking to my back. I turned into my mom.

I want to downsize. I created a beautiful landscaping nightmare that I now hire people to maintain. I am in the process of changing it back to hassle free.

Unfortunately, anywhere I might want to live, cost of housing is expensive. My house keeps increasing in value causing my assessment to go up. We are still having “save the Library “ bond sales. My house is now 20 years old and I just had it painted, new deck goes on in the spring. Black Friday I buy a new propane stove as I am down to one burner on my current stove. I have a few more expensive maintenance things on my list of things to fix.

My brother is still living with me. The shortage of low income housing means I will probably have him a long time. The shortage of senior housing means ....? I guess it means age in place and keep up the maintenance.

I am still glad I retired early. I am lucky. I rescued another dog. They are great company and adore me.

I find the “OK Boomer” , kind of funny. Wait wait, are David Nunes and Jim Jordan boomers?

I am so tired of our current swamp. Watching the impeachment hearings and folks speaking truth to power has been inspiring.

That catches up the last six months. Here is to more happy years , clink clink.
I love to hear when life works out for people. I'm always amazed that mine has turned out so well--I wasn't expecting it to, 40 years ago, for sure.

I've started dropping things too, but I think mine is bad eyesight. I'm getting the cataracts fixed next month (I hope).
No. of Recommendations: 0
Getting cataracts fixed was indeed eye opening. Had to hire a couple folks to come clean my house. Then I Repainted kitchen cabinet... huge job, and know that the entire inside of house needs painted. I have extremely tall ceilings so it’s going to be a hire out job. You will love your clear vision. If I was wealthy, I would have sprung for the bifocal insertion lenses. I still have a collection of cheap Costco reading glasses in every room of the house, but never where I need them.
The surgery went fine, and now I can see my computer clearly without glasses. The rest of my vision is still rather sub-par, but of course I'm getting glasses next month to fix that.

I see about as well without glasses now as I used to see with them, which was not very well. I still try to reach for my glasses when I stand up from the computer, which is a very old habit that will take forever to break.

Anyhow, I'll be overjoyed when I can drive at night again. Being grounded after dark has really put a damper on my (rather unexciting) lifestyle.

I may get some cheap reading glasses in the meantime, just to see my phone. Going from being extremely near-sighted to mostly far-sighted is playing games with my head.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Good to hear from all of you. I was working on my retirement plan the other day and it was amazing.

Yea, I know I retired almost 18 years ago but every day is the first day of retirement is how I look at it. Anyway, at the end of 1978, my total retirement assets were, well, zero. By the end of 1979, I had put away a whopping $515.42. I was already 33 years old. A lot has changed since then and it's almost all good. I managed to save enough to retire at 56. Since then, my assets have more than doubled.

My right knee replacement went OK as those things go. Kneeling is a problem so it is a good thing I don't go to church. The arch on my leg foot has sort of collapsed, leaving my posterior tibial tendon in a state of distress but my Arizona brace keeps me chugging along. Got a tooth or two bothering me and I will keep you guys in the loop.

Like you, Sally, arthritis in my hands is becoming an issue, but for me that is not all bad. I have finally renounced manual labor forever. As we speak, my excellent Brazilian yard guy is getting rid of the rest of the leaves.

Just got back from Boston and visiting kids and grandkids. They all seem to be thriving. Will be in Seattle for the holidays with my other grandson and may hook up with two recently discovered second cousins, one of whom supplied me with a history of my father's ancestors stretching back to 16th century Maryland. They were Quakers, Irish or English... who knew? They meandered south and then west. Davey Crockett worked for one of my ancestors and actually traded his musket to them in exchange for a horse which he needed to go courting some gal. My peeps, being Quakers, has no use for the gun and sold it. It still exists.

Now getting over not being Spanish, but, notwithstanding, I am going to be exploring Andalusia in March, after which I may just chill out for a while.

Stay well everyone and have a great holiday season.
Hey Teddy,
Not getting over not being Spanish? I’m not getting over my mom being right:)

Only one house on the market in our 30 year old HOA. Price tag 800,000. You younger folks need to save more to live on a coast. The oldest neighborhood built as weekend recreation style (only neighborhood to allow trailers and ParkModels). It was second homes for mostly weekend Seattle folks.
One of my older friends has had a medical emergency, and will be moving into one of those continuing care type places and leaving her older but well cared for ParkModel. a realtor has already called saying She has a cash buyer, 325,000. The base cost of her cc room is 3200. Every thing else is added on.

I have three small trips planned this year instead of one grand exotic trip. I should be back from Florida in time to plant my garden. My new best gardner, Dawn, helps me with weeding, because you can’t kneel on new knee. She helps me clean the garage, put up Christmas lights all for 20.00 an hour. I get a special low rate because, humm I can’t rember.