Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
20 years ago today was my last day working for someone else. At that time I decided to try it on my own and live off the results of managing my own investments. I'd been investing since my college days and had a nice 401k plus a decent nest egg in taxable accounts. I was 54 1/2.

The early years I had to watch my expenses but the freedom to do what I wanted when I wanted was wonderful. I took 72t withdrawals from the IRA for 5 years until I was 59 1/2 and the limits came off. Still cautious until I could take SS at 62. In those days I was single and traveled 6 or 7 weeks a year on a limited budget. I made it through the tech bubble, some other market crises and the great recession. Only during the great recession did I ever have less in liquid assets than when I retired.

I've had some major expenses in the last 5 years as my college love and I got back together. My old house was too small and we bought a larger house and totally remodeled it. Even so, I still have over 40% more in my portfolio than when I retired. Without the house it would be about 65% more. I'm now 74 1/2 and have higher annual expenses but I expect to easily make it financially to at least age 100. And leave a nice estate.

Retirement from the corporate world is one of the best things I ever did.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.