No. of Recommendations: 0
This $200 iPhone Case Is An FDA-Approved EKG Machine

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671371/this-200-iphone-case-is-...

It's the next must-have toy. :-)
Print the post Back To Top
One study investigated how its single-lead EKG compared to a traditional 12-lead device...

Just skimming through the article and found this.

This device is basically pointless. A single lead EKG will only tell you if you're in normal sinus rhythm or not. 12 lead is what you need to diagnose heart attacks and other serious problems. You can pretty much tell if you're in sinus rhythm by checking your pulse.

JLC
One study investigated how its single-lead EKG compared to a traditional 12-lead device...

Just skimming through the article and found this.

This device is basically pointless. A single lead EKG will only tell you if you're in normal sinus rhythm or not. 12 lead is what you need to diagnose heart attacks and other serious problems. You can pretty much tell if you're in sinus rhythm by checking your pulse.

JLC

I don't understand the technical details, but they did say that using it led to the diagnosis of two serious heart problems. However, it could be because 54 hypochondriacs went to a doctor after using the device. :-)

"One study investigated how its single-lead EKG compared to a traditional 12-lead device, the other examined if 54 participants could figure out how to use the case properly, with no previous medical training. The latter study was not only successful but led to the diagnosis of two serious heart problems."
No. of Recommendations: 1
"This device is basically pointless. A single lead EKG will only tell you if you're in normal sinus rhythm or not. 12 lead is what you need to diagnose heart attacks and other serious problems. You can pretty much tell if you're in sinus rhythm by checking your pulse." - JLC

I get an EKG every year as part of my yearly physical. The nurse sticks electrodes all over me. I've never paid enough attention to know how many electrodes she attached to me. She did tell me that when the read out just rolls off the machine quickly that's usually a good thing. She said when there are problems it takes longer.

So for the last few years my read out has been fast so I'm assuming everything is normal? My doctor hasn't mentioned anything to me. They also X-ray my chest every year? Since I worked in lung cancer research for 10 years and was around a lot of nasty cancer producing chemicals that's probably a good thing.

By the way when the nurse pulls the electrodes off me it pulls the hair on my chest and it sort of hurts. Not as bad though as when the doctor sticks his finger up my rectum. That really bothers my hemorrhoids for a few days.

Art
The nurse sticks electrodes all over me. I've never paid enough attention to know how many electrodes she attached to me.

IIRC, its about 10. One each arm and leg and six across your heart.

She did tell me that when the read out just rolls off the machine quickly that's usually a good thing. She said when there are problems it takes longer.

The machine is great at determining if you're in normal sinus rhythm. Everything else needs to be interpreted by a physician. The algorithm seems to "over read" some things.

JLC
I don't understand the technical details,

A 12 lead EKG essentially gives you 12 "pictures" of the heart muscle. From different angles and covering different areas of the heart. This thing only gives you one.

Think of black and white TV from the 30s vs. a 3D HDTV.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 5

By the way when the nurse pulls the electrodes off me it pulls the hair on my chest and it sort of hurts. Not as bad though as when the doctor sticks his finger up my rectum. That really bothers my hemorrhoids for a few days.

Art

----------------

LMAO. Damn Art, that is getting right up there near the mustard couch on the TMI scale....
No. of Recommendations: 2

Art

----------------

LMAO. Damn Art, that is getting right up there near the mustard couch on the TMI scale....

I dunno.....but I find these types of posts from Art very endearing. It's a slice of everyday Americana.

I get the warm-fuzzies...
No. of Recommendations: 2
Not as bad though as when the doctor sticks his finger up my rectum. That really bothers my hemorrhoids for a few days.

Doc, I don't mind the ring, but the watch is a little rough.
"LMAO. Damn Art, that is getting right up there near the mustard couch on the TMI scale." - Bighairymike

Blame it on my asperger's. Seriously? How much can they feel when they poke their finger up there? How effective can it be as a method to detect prostate cancer?

My point is there has got to be a better way? My doctor does both the blood PSA test and the digital prostate exam. Seems like the PSA test ought to be enough?

Art
"I dunno.....but I find these types of posts from Art very endearing. It's a slice of everyday Americana. I get the warm-fuzzies." - AOLF

At least you know I'm for real. Not like some posts I read where the person tells you all kinds of bull manure about being a genius and being asked to join Mensa or bragging about something else. I am deeply suspicious of people who brag too much about themselves on the internet. No one is that good or that smart. I tell it like it is.

Art
>>LMAO. Damn Art, that is getting right up there near the mustard couch on the TMI scale....<<

I dunno.....but I find these types of posts from Art very endearing. It's a slice of everyday Americana. - AOL

---------------------------

It's a slice of something for sure....

But seriously, I know what you are getting at. When I read it, I was thinking that is just soooo Art. We have some characters around this campfire.
I dunno.....but I find these types of posts from Art very endearing. It's a slice of everyday Americana. - AOL

---------------------------

It's a slice of something for sure....

But seriously, I know what you are getting at. When I read it, I was thinking that is just soooo Art. We have some characters around this campfire.

Well, I was writing half tongue-in-cheek...oops, did I just say that??

It's half funny/TMI....but I do find it a bit endearing.

Yeah, you get the straight dope from Art.
"Well, I was writing half tongue-in-cheek...oops, did I just say that??
It's half funny/TMI....but I do find it a bit endearing. Yeah, you get the straight dope from Art." - Aolf

I'm the real deal. Honest and open. No bull manure. If you read my posts you get to know the real Art. You know what I believe and how I think and about my life.

Art