Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
From a helicopter, officers from the Utah Department of Public Safety spotted a large metal monolith — a single block of metal — last week. It was sitting in Utah's Red Rock Country in the southeast. Officials have no idea how or when it got there — or who might have placed it.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/24/938572857/helicopter-pilots-s...

But is it playing Ligeti and inspiring those who come in contact to make weapons?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/24/938572857/helicopter-pilots-s......

But is it playing Ligeti and inspiring those who come in contact to make weapons?

But do you hear "Also Sprach Zarathustra"?
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I remember the move correctly, Ligeti was played in the presence of monoliths, and Also Sprach Zarathustra played whenever they showed Earth/Sun/Moon in alignment.
I learned something the last time I watched 2001 (actually, I probably learn a thing or two every time I see it!).

Kubrick wanted the early humans to be more evolved, more human-like. BUt not so modern that they had clothing. So unless they were very hairy, that just wouldn't fly ;-)
...and inspiring those who come in contact to make weapons?

Actually, the touching of the monolith caused the brain to have mini-seizures as it produced neural networks that began pushing upward and outward on the cranium such that over generations, the cranium increased its capacity and abstract reasoning developed and from that, the primarily humanoid construct of tools which could be used as weapons. This was time-condensed in the movie but covered in Clark's concurrent book.

And this new monolith does not seem to carry the squares of 1, 2, 3 as the dimensions.

But the part that gives me pause is the news release ""We came across this, in the middle of nowhere, buried deep in the rock."

Deep in the rock?? Did someone take a jackhammer and generator and perhaps very large masonry saw out there to do the rock cutting....or was this all done with chisel and hammer? And where is the rock debris from the cutting into the rock?

What would be just as fitting as Ligeti here is the theme to Twilight Zone

BruceM