No. of Recommendations: 1
I was talking to Fidelity about contributing to my 2001 Roth IRA. The customer service representative told me that while the money needs to be in the account by April 15, they want the contributions postmarked by April 10. For those of you still contemplating contributing to your 2001 Roth IRAs, you may want to find out NOW if the brokerage company or mutual fund has an early deadline.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the tip, isophorone.

By the way, tell us about that user name. Isophorone is the name of a chemical used as a solvent. It is highly objectionably environmentally, as I recall and has a particularly obnoxious odor.

So how does one get to be isophorone?
No. of Recommendations: 3

By the way, tell us about that user name. Isophorone is the name of a chemical used as a solvent. It is highly objectionably environmentally, as I recall and has a particularly obnoxious odor.

So how does one get to be isophorone?

Isophorone is also known as 3,5,5,-trimethyl-2-cyclohexen-1-one. This name was too long for a Fool name, but, fortunately, "isophorone" was still available! I am sure the Fool will start a "Chemical Nomenclature" Message Board soon. :-)

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS --
In real life, I am an environmental engineer. I was working on this project having to do with various solvents, one of which is isophorone. We found that many of them, including isophorone, are rather obscure in their uses as a solvent. Unfortunately, an environmentalist group sued. I thought this was so silly that I adopted the name "isophorone" as my nom de plume.

If you are having a particularly sleepless night, you can look up the following decision from the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit:

http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/common/opinions/200005/99-1048a.txt

If you don't want to read this, I'll spoil the ending by letting you know that the plaintiffs by a vote of 3-0, came out second best in the litigation.

OK, now back to retirement planning!
Isophorone, it may interest you to know there is a chemicals industry board on Fooldom. Its at: http://fireboards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=16936369&bid=100041

Its kind of quiet over there. We'd be delighted to have you join us. Its mostly a discussion of new chemical technologies and which ones might be worth investing in, plus some background info on the chemical industry.

Last year we had a user named phenolphthalein for a while. We were trying to figure out if he was the indicator that turned pink when treated caustically or the laxative that's suspected of causing cancer.

I trust isophorone has cleaned up its act with a suitable odor mask and possibly an antidote. Are you biodegradable? Liver toxic?
Pauleckler,

Thanks for the invite. For ethical reasons, I have to refrain from investing in the chemical industry, so I don't know how much I can participate in the board.

Remember, it's the DOSE that makes the poison. :-)

RJ
isophorone writes,

Thanks for the invite. For ethical reasons, I have to refrain from investing in the chemical industry, so I don't know how much I can participate in the board.

Isn't water a chemical? What do you drink and bathe in?

intercst

Isn't water a chemical? What do you drink and bathe in?

Water is bad enough in your shoes; why would you want to drink it?
--Old (and poorly translated) family expression

Seriously, because some of the work I do affects the chemical industry, I don't invest in those companies. I actually have to file financial disclosure reports (including for IRAs) that are reviewed by my management. Mutual funds that happen to invest in these companies are fine, but I probably can't invest in a "sector" fund that is oriented around the petrochemical or even pharmaceutical industries.