Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
There's a great article in the Boston Phoenix about why evangelicals hate HP, but the sidebar story had me rolling. Obviously, there are a lot of people out there way too concerned with Snape's sex life.

Romancing the Snape

By Joyce Millman

READERS HAVE HAD to wait three long years between Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the just-released fifth book in J.K. Rowling's saga of good, evil, and a boy wizard. Well, some readers waited. Others daydreamed, debated, analyzed, obsessed, speculated, and wrote their own next chapters in the Potter story.

You see, there is Rowling's Harry Potter, seen primarily in the mainstream media as a spectacularly successful work of children's literature. And then there is the Secret Harry Potter, the one that exists in the imagination of adult readers, particularly those who spend a lot of time on the Internet. And in this parallel Potterverse, the things that Rowling can only hint at — as well as the things that she may never have intended and which exist purely in dark fantasies — are brought out into the light of day.

Take the cult of Severus Snape, for instance. The mysterious, black-haired Potions Master is the key figure in the alternative Potter universe. And why not? With his clouded past and sadistic treatment of students, Professor Snape is a tortured soul on the order of Emily Brontë's Heathcliff, a romantic hero/villain who fits splendidly into all sorts of R- and X-rated fan-written scenarios. Of course, the fact that Snape is portrayed in the movies by "the thinking woman's sex symbol" Alan Rickman has a little something to do with Snape's popularity among female Potterheads — check out www.ensnaringsnape.com for a representative peek at what happens when Snapelust and Rickmania intersect.

Rickman's perversely alluring goth-monk get-up, the cruel curl of his upper lip, the plummy baritone, the sexual ambiguity he brings to the role (he stares at Harry as if fighting down a very untoward urge) — that's the Snape who haunts the Harry Potter stories on www.fanfiction.net and www.adultfanfiction.net, not "the greasy git" who exists on Rowling's pages.

Many of these Snapecentric fan fictions are fluffy "Mary Sue" stories, in which a beautiful young transfer student discovers the softer side of the Potions Master. But in other stories, Snape has a full-blown taste for bondage and discipline, seducing students of both sexes — including Harry and Hermione — during detentions in his dungeon. In one unrelenting bit of erotica, "The Nine Orgies: Affection" by one Kandyslasher (adultfanfiction.net), Snape spends the entire first section spanking a naughty Slytherin girl with every implement at a sadistic schoolmaster's disposal. And in the luminous "Love's Labours, Paradise Lost" by Veresna Ussep (adultfanfiction.net), a melancholy, Shakespeare-spouting Snape turns a prostitute into an elegant love slave, and the result is so affecting, you wish you could see this Snape on a movie screen. (I haven't even mentioned the "slash" — homoerotic — fan fiction, where Snape couples with everyone from Remus Lupin to Lucius Malfoy.)

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news%5Ffeatures/other%5Fstories/documents/02977459.htm

Uhura
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Snape and Hermione...

Hmmm....

Yeah, I could see it. Someone did point out earlier that she's the only one of Harry's gang who's sympathetic toward him :-)

Ellen
I have now read Forbidden Love by snapesflower on adultfanfiction. I don't think I can ever quite look at Snape the same again.

Thanks for the link. Now I have to scroll through all 650+ stories in the hopes of finding something juicy about Lupin.

Thuvia
werewolf fan
"werewolf fan"

Have you read Laura K. Hamilton?

I read the first six or so, then got burned out on them, the "who am I going to date" aspect grew tiresome (though I think she should have ditched the werewolf and gone with the vampire).

Have you read Laura K. Hamilton?

No, but I've read Laurie R. King. Does that count?

Seriously, I'm only a werewolf fan when it comes to Lupin (he with the tired face and graying hair--how can I resist?). I suspect Laura Hamilton's books will give me nightmares, but I'll check her out on Amazon.

Thuvia
easily scared
Actually I think it is "Laurell K. Hamilton."

I like Laurie R. King, too, her latest was terrific.