Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired and started to collect Social Security in July, 2002. My DW continued to work. When time came to prepare income taxes for 2002 I found that I had to pay a significant amount over what had been withheld from paychecks. Factors behind this were some capital gains and 85% of my SS being taxed.
So now we are half way through 2003 with DW still employed but I have no earned income. What is the best and easiest way to estimate what my tax liability will be for this year? I'm not particularly worried about having to pay additional but don't want to get into a penalty situation.
I considered using my 2002 TaxCut software using my estimated numbers for 2003 but with the tax changes, etc. I'm not sure that will get me to a reasonable liability.
Any one have any suggestions? And if it appears that I will owe significant tax in addition of DW's withholding is there a way I can make a payment now to avoid penalty?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.