Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
After filing 2005 Federal and State joint returns last March, I realized I had forgotten to include Long Term Care Insurance costs on Schedule A, Medical Expenses. Although our medical expenses were far below the 7.5% of AGI threshold, I redid TT with these costs because I knew they would impact the state return. Our initial VA State return resulted in $176 taxes due that we paid. Re-runing TT resulted in a reduction of VA taxes due from $176 > $4. I filed an Amended VA return and later received a refund, or perhaps it is called a credit, of $172. We did not receive any VA forms with this refund or later in the year.
Do I need to enter this $172 refund/credit/offset on Line 10, Form 1040 when I use TT to do our 2006 taxes?
Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.