Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Question regarding this past year's 1098-T & related college expenses.

My income is irregular - only comes in the form of dividends, interest, s/t cap gains & l/t cap gains - job-free living. For understandable market reasons, 2008-2010 produced plenty of booked losses & carry-forwards (used up now) which kept my income for those years low to negative. 2010 was modestly positive and the deductibility of education expenses (year 1 college for my son) and associated credits came in very handy. This year, I ended up booking many more gains (low 6-fig in each of s/t cap gains & l/t cap gains) and my income is at a level where the 2011 deductibility is definitely gone and AMT is kicking in.

Is there anything I can do in the way I file now to effectively "save" the 2011 1098-T from this year for use down the road? I don't plan to book as many gains this year and would likely qualify for some deductibility of the expenses unless I get a really high-quality problem of a raging bull market and a happy sell-trigger-finger.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.