Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Jane, 25 year old individual has already filed a 2012 1040 Return. The individual now wants to contribute $2000 (meets earned income reqm't) to a new Roth Account and designate it for the 2012 year contribution.

Is there any IRS reporting requirement that must be done on Jane's 2012 Fed Return for the funding of a Roth for 2012?

Further, if I'm understanding the 1040 instructions correctly, even a Roth can be used to qualify for the Retirement Savings Tax Credit. So if Jane has to file an amended return for the Roth contribution, a Form 8880 could be filed with the 1040X that would get Jane the small amount of taxes she owes based on her already filed 1040.

Is that the correct understanding?

PS: Trying to convince her to do an amended even if there is no reporting requirement.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.