No. of Recommendations: 8
Awrighty, it is time for the 2013 METAR Stock picking contest.

Before I get to the rules, I want to say I spent some time thinking about the contest, number of picks,
weighting picks, etc. I asked for input on the weighting and some responded. I liked the
way the 2012 allowed both a safe bet and a longshot. That said, I seriously entertained the thought
of a third pick to offset the weighting, but realized that would likely not work too well. My
feeling is it would encourage contestants to lean towards the longshot side on the third pick.

So back to two picks. What about the multiplier? For those who want an equal weighting i.e.
multiplier of 1, ... well, here's a "1". But, I'm not done yet. This is METAR, or a board that
focuses on Macro Economics. Of course, this is an irrational debate, so to do that justice I
decided to add the square root of pi, plus .001. So the multiplier for the 2013 METAR contest
is 1 + 1.772 + 0.001 = 2.773. Those who wanted "1" got part of their wish, those who want a
multiplier got a multiplier, and the .001 is ... well, because I said so. So the multiplier is 2.773,
just a nice irrational multiplier for this contest :)

Onto the rules for the 2013 METAR Contest
1. Each contestant will be allowed two picks- a safe pick and a longshot pick.
2. The contest starts on Jan 2, 2013, since the first day of 2013 is a holiday. Contest
picks should be in prior to Jan 2, 2013.
3. The contest ends at close of market on Dec 31, 2013.
4. Return of a pick is measured as the price gain, plus any dividend payouts and spinoffs announced
during 2013.
5. The safe pick will get a multiplier of 2.773 when calculating return.
6. Total return = longshot pick return + 2.773 * safe pick return. The winner of the 2013 METAR
Contest Winner will be the player with the highest Total return.
7. Since this is a METAR contest, it would be nice if each contestant makes a METAR angle or justification
for at least one of their picks. Nothing elaborate, no book reports. Just a sentence or two,
a paragraph, if one feels ambitious.
8. There is no lock on picks i.e. more than one player can pick a specific stock, ETF or Index.
9. Foreign stocks are allowed. However, if the pick is traded on a foreign stock exchange,
the player needs to provide the ticker symbol on that exchange, and a way to validate the data
e.g. a Tokyo-listed or Hong Kong-listed idea is usually a four or five digit number.
10. No changes to either pick once the contest starts. I will try to provide a contest update
at least quarterly (four times), maybe more frequently.
11. Per contestant, the safe pick cannot be the same as the longshot pick (no double-down)

Please submit your picks as a reply to this thread (just easier to track). Any questions,
also to this thread.

Good luck to all participants!

HoHum
Benevolent Dictator of 2013 METAR Contest
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hohum,

The safe pick gets the multiplier?

Confused
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 2
Good luck to all participants!

HoHum
Benevolent Dictator of 2013 METAR Contest

Since I'm leaving for a foreign country on Wednesday and don't want to forget I'll dive in now with FLY.v as my longshot and ALA.to as my big fellow. I'll try to post the reasoning when I get aroundtuit.

Tim

http://www.google.ca/finance?q=CVE%3AFLY&ei=AhjPUIDhM4W9...

http://www.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AALA&ei=bB3PUPCzKJOv...

You might find this interesting?

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2012/12/altagas-ltd-leads-...

AltaGas Ltd. grabs lead in LNG infrastructure race

'We do have the only pipeline' to the West Coast, CEO David Cornhill says
BY STEVE MACLEOD
December 12, 2012

“Do you want to see what $6 billion looks like?” David Cornhill pushes his chair back from a six-seat table that nearly fills the conference room. He takes only a few steps and then reaches for a picture mounted on the wall beside the 19th-floor window of the downtown Calgary highrise. The chairman and chief executive of AltaGas Ltd. lifts the frame off the wall. Two dimes are on display behind glass in the middle of the ornamental mount. “That was the beginning,” he says, as he rolls the coins back and forth in the tiny enclosure, and smiles.

Cornhill reflects only for a moment on the $0.20 that was paid to obtain the first two shares of AltaGas when the company launched in March 1994. ...

“It’s a critical piece of infrastructure to link the natural gas production to the west coast,” Cornhill says. Larger rivals “have more financial capability than we do, but we do have the only pipeline and the only team that’s been able to get the pipeline right-of-way completed, to date.”

By some accounts, the capital needed to connect remote gas plays to the coast with new infrastructure is massive. Ernst & Young, for instance, estimates $50 billion will be needed to build liquefaction plants, pipelines, roads, power generation and transmission in the next five to 10 years to send natural gas to world markets.

There are currently seven west coast LNG projects proposed or in development with a combined capacity of more than 10 billion cubic feet per day (bcf/d).
Hohum,

Confused
Qazulight

Yup. Same logic as last year's competition, except the multiplier is 2.773

Too rational?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Since I'm leaving for a foreign country on Wednesday and don't want to forget I'll dive in now with FLY.v as my longshot and ALA.to as my big fellow. I'll try to post the reasoning when I get aroundtuit.

Tim

Sheesh!, you make Benevolent dictator have to help. That long diatribe on Altagas could be simplified
to this- LNG is becoming an increasingly important fuel throughout the world, but especially in Asia.
Altagas is a player helping Canada become capable of exporting LNG to Asia.

That qualifies for the minimum for a METAR angle (Because I said so :) )

HoHum
Sheesh!, you make Benevolent dictator have to help. That long diatribe on Altagas could be simplified
to this- LNG is becoming an increasingly important fuel throughout the world, but especially in Asia.
Altagas is a player helping Canada become capable of exporting LNG to Asia.

That qualifies for the minimum for a METAR angle (Because I said so :) )

HoHum

Apologies oh great and munificent benevolent dictator <<bowing>>, since you pretty well aced the LNG Altagas thingy leaving out only the dividend (currently 4.31% paid in monthly increments) and the tremendous growth of this fellow into a diverse energy company I can add little else. They have several projects (R of R Hydro, wind, Nat gas delivery) that will be starting to cashflow in the next year or two and LNG would be a small part of the total business. They bought that pipeline just before the whispers of LNG exports hit the hallways of several corporate HQs in North Am and will I suspect parlay it into another nice increased dividend stream for moi.

FLYHT Aerospace Solutions Ltd(CVE:FLY) is a punt on a desperately needed global communications system for commercial, corporate and even military aircraft. The recent spate of aircraft manufactures agreeing to install the system OEM and talk in the EU and China (as well as at least one African nation) of mandating satellite communications in emergency may be the final straw that breaks the industry conservatism on anything new.

http://flyht.com/

Tim <thanks for not having me beheaded for my mistake> 443
Hohum,

Confused
Qazulight

Yup. Same logic as last year's competition, except the multiplier is 2.773

Too rational?

Oh, it is as if I had purchased three times as much safe bet as speculative. Makes sense.

Cheers
Qazulight
Oh, it is as if I had purchased three times as much safe bet as speculative. Makes sense.

Cheers
Qazulight

I had considered a similar response but realized someone might come along and say they would equal-weight
their picks for a given time-frame, then decide if a stock deserved a heavier weighting.

Qaz, glad you fit among the rational ones.
Oops my bad. I posted this on another thread first. My picks remain the same. Rig is my sure thing. before the 2009 recession and the gulf spill Rig was trading at $93 and today its less than half that. Since, they have sold off some of their under performing shallow rigs and reconfigured their drilling fleet. Yes they halted their dividend but did so to strengthen their position to capitalize on future drilling and deeper rigs, all positive in my eyes. My long shot is really less so this year than last and again its FCEL. Fuelcell energy is so right for so many reasons. Its green, its reliable, its efficient, its grid free, and its likely to become profitable this year, which would make it the first of its kind. They just signed on for the largest fuel cell park in North America to be in service end of 2013. They have deals for a london office tower and the largest fuel cell park in South Korea. South Koreas Posco Steel is a huge company that owns about a 15 percent interest in FCEL. Also they have agreements with a Spanish company and a large German think tank to develope and place fuelcells across the European continent. The future is bright for Fuelcell Energy. bcTim.
I'm going to change my tune after going with BHP for the past two years and go with Rio Tinto (RIO). They pull stuff out of the ground and if mankind keeps building stuff then they will do OK. There's also the off chance that either BHP or the Chinese will try to buy them again, but likely the Australian government wouldn't be amused.

For my longshot I'm going with PDL BioPharma (PDLI). Their promo blurb is confusing enough to be intriguing: PDL BioPharma, Inc. is a biotech company engaged in the management of antibody humanization patents and royalty assets, which consist of its Queen et al. patents and license agreements with various biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. It has focused on intellectual property asset management, investing in new royalty bearing assets and maximizing the value of its patent portfolio and related assets.

Jeff
(I too will be heading to a foreign country on January 3 :-)
Jeff,
(I too will be heading to a foreign country on January 3 :-)

My 2012 Longshot is down 72% or thereabouts, but is being bought out thanks to either the largesse or lack of valuation skills by another Calgary "energy giant". That will get me back around 7% if my loss. I'm heading to Oman after the holidays and will scout around for another "opportunity" in beautiful downtown Muscat.

I did like your BHP Billiton idea and Rio as well.

Bon Voyage.

jz
BCTim, takes some discipline to stay with the same picks. Good luck
A couple of high risk picks. No reward for finishing second.

Speculative is HEK. A small company active in disposal of flowback from fracking & oil disposal - but run by the founder (and seller) of US Filter. May be too early.

Safe (not so much) pick is BAC. They're slowly making progress. Risk is 2013 economy - driven by political factors.
My "safe" pick is a $1B company that mines REEs - Lynas Corporation LYC.AX. It is only safe if you are willing to suffer several years of low share price should their state of the art processing facility be forced to be moved from Malaysia due to political issues. EVENTUALLY it will produce something that everyone wants and will have a share price above where it is now. On the other hand, if Lynas successfully starts producing by at least mid-2013 we should see the current share price triple at least.

My risky bet was going to be Rubicon, but they could be facing legal issues with Native Peoples in Canada, and that could delay or destroy them. So I will go with another company in a legal battle - Alliance Resources AGS.AX. They have a 25% interest in a potentially huge uranium asset in Australia which is moving to production despite the battle with their joint venture partner. If they win the legal battle they could regain full control and ownership, and if they lose they will still have 25%. With full resolution of the legal battle, a 25% ownership should still have the shareprice rise to more than double where it is now.

Smufty - I own both
Smufty - I own both

Ironically both were discussed today. I'm not sure if AGS.AX was mentioned in the clip but it was discussed earlier in the day.

I own Great West (mentioned as one of the three going into REE production), they recently fired their mine manager. }};-()

Tim

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip829448

Commodities : December 18, 2012 : Uranium Stocks Rise on Nuclear Japanese Hopes [12-18-12 11:30 AM]A new, pro-nuclear government in Japan is driving uranium stocks higher as investors wager the country will restart some of its shuttered nuclear power plants. Rob Chang, Analyst with Cantor

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip829451

Commodities : December 18, 2012 : Rare Earth Leaders for 2013 [12-18-12 11:40 AM]BNN speaks with Jon Hykawy, Head of Global Research, Byron Capital Markets to find out his top commodity picks for 2013.
I was seriously tempted to use my 2012 METAR Contest pick, Thompson Creek Metals (TC) again in the 2013
competition. I forgot to tell TC to forget about 2012, and wait until 2013 starts to start zooming
up. Haven't finalized both picks quite yet, but leaning towards a tanker idea for one of the picks.
For me

1] long shot
LON:LSIL = ETFS Commodity Securities Leveraged Silver

2] safe bet as of last year
LON:PAF = Pan African Resources traded on the London Stock Exchange

1] silver on an up run to continue into 2013 with leveraged EFT

2] PAF has just bought into a new gold mine in South Africa & will issue a dividend this year [a rarity for a junior miner]

1]http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=LON%3ALSIL&ei=LF3RUODO...

2]http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=LON%3APAF&ei=8FzRUMCLE...

Alan
UKGOLD
Hohum,

I have firmly decided to win this year.

And no I am not changing my handle to court jester.

my safe pick......because it gets the multiplier is the EWJ.....Japan is poised for a come back......charts.....timing reality......yes it is a new reality a new day......it is not gold.....LOL....but better.....

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?ewj

the long shot......oh so easy....the USD......the basket to make it an interesting play......also poised to rise......and rise.....

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?s=%24usd

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 6
Merry Christmas everyone and thank you all for continuing to make this forum one of my favorites :)

My safe bet for 2013 will be Pembina Pipeline (PBA):

PBA is an Investment Grade, NYSE-listed Canadian pipeline/midstream/gas services business, trading at a 5.5 % yield with a significant amount of organic growth ahead of it. Their 2013 Capital Spending budget will be the largest budget in the company's history and a +75% increase over this year's. With their investment grade rating they were recently able to sell $450 million of 10 year, unsecured notes for only 3.77 %.

PBA is a monthly dividend payer and has been a dividend grower, most recently March 2012. In the past 14 years, PBA has grown its dividend 69% (from $0.95/sh to $1.61/sh). I believe that works out to a 3.84% CAGR.

-------------------------------------------------------

My long shot for 2013 will be EV Energy Partners (EVEP) the same as this year:
EVEP is a Nasdaq-listed MLP focused on the acquisition, operation, and development of oil and gas properties.
They are in process of monetizing a great deal of their Ohio Oil & Gas Utica Shale holdings. Seeking Alpha has just posted what I consider to be a nice overview describing what EVEP is expected to be announcing any day about the sale/trade 100,000 acres of their operated Utica Shale properties.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1069171-ev-energy-partners-u...

---alan
Vancouver-WA
PBA is an Investment Grade, NYSE-listed Canadian pipeline/midstream/gas services business, trading at a 5.5 % yield with a significant amount of organic growth ahead of it.

Home

I actually considered Pembina Pipeline, am considering it for my Tax Free account when new room comes available next month. I only enter stocks I actually own or it might have been my pick.

Having said that all the pipeline companies have 'a significant amount of organic growth ahead' as North America is desperately short of pipeline infrastructure. The CEO of TRP commented yesterday that all the organized profitable high salary protest groups have doubled the time it takes to build a pipeline.

I like pipelines because the commodity price has only a small effect on their revenue.

Tim
Greetings, our wise and benevolent leader!

My choices for 2013... I am not nearly as confident as last year, but since I am in just about last place, maybe that is a good thing?

Safe Bet: I will go with copper, in the form of FCX (Freeport-McMoRan Copper and Gold).

Long Shot: ERF, an oil and gas company in the US and Canada that has been beaten down heavily this past year. I am hoping their recent moves have them poised to return to profitability, with a bounce in share price as a result.

So, both of my choices this year are commodities getting stuff out of the ground. The big picture with commodities shows very large, long-term swings. We have had a huge run-up to 2008, then a big drop... but in the big picture, I think the commodities boom has only begun, driven by the emergence of pretty much everywhere besides the US, Japan, and Europe.

Commodities do well in a bullish cycle, and not so good in a bearish one. But I have just about given up on trying to sort out the political, economic, central banking policy, and other factors that seem to be shoving the economy and the markets around like punching bag. So, I picked value and a sector that was out of favor this year.

I see rubberthinking is long a Japanese index. I seriously considered doing a variation on my short of Japanese bonds this year, but doing a 3x short the Yen instead (my theory is that the money will collapse before the bonds as Japan can print, unlike Greece). But, any weakness in the Yen will only help Japanese exports, which tends to correct. This may be the trade of the century, as some people say, but there are still 88 years left in this century, and it may take more than just one for that play to work out. So, I passed on that one.

Good luck to all!

Doug
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
Greetings, our wise and benevolent leader!

My choices for 2013... I am not nearly as confident as last year, but since I am in just about last place, maybe that is a good thing?

Safe Bet: I will go with copper, in the form of FCX (Freeport-McMoRan Copper and Gold).

Long Shot: ERF, an oil and gas company in the US and Canada that has been beaten down heavily this past year. I am hoping their recent moves have them poised to return to profitability, with a bounce in share price as a result.

Doug,

Awesome picks and nice to see proper deference to our great leader. }};-D

I like copper if y'all don't put us back in the toilet with the silly ego trip on the hill?

ERF is long suffering from the low Nat gas price and the low price they get for their Western Canadian Select that can't get to the world market. I would suggest that the shortage of pipes to tidewater will not be solved in the next 12 months but perhaps there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

In truth your ERF pick (I own that one as well) and my much larger position in Penn West share the same difficulties and hopefully the same solution to the problems.

Good luck.

Tim
Top quote last year

BRK/B for slow and steady and um...

BAC for crazy and insane

So BRK/B for Safe and BAC for the long shot

Thanks
Tom
My picks for 2013 are:

Safe pick: GE - General Electric - They make jet turbines, gas turbines, steam turbines, wind turbines, locomotives, and a slew of mechanical, electrical and electronic equipment. Their bread and butter is in the areas of energy and transportation. If the world needs machines in 2013, then GE is well positioned to sell their world class products. GE did well in 2012.

Long shot: BMRN - BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. - A small niche pharmaceutical company that develops and commercializes innovative biopharmaceuticals for serious diseases and medical conditions with lots of good results to date and IMO for 2013. BRMN did well in 2012.

jaagu
Hohum

http://boards.fool.com/my-thinking-on-my-metar-stock-picks-3...

I posted my thinking in a new thread, because is covered so many stocks.

I probably should have picked Canyon Services Group for my long shot, but Portugal Telecom gets the call for that. AT&T is my safe pick and the largest equity position I have.

Can you say - Moat?

Can you say - Growth?

AT&T.

Can you say - Risky?

Can you say - Baby with the bathwater?

Can you say - Growth?

PT

Cheers
Qazulight
My picks for 2013 are:

Safe pick: KMF. This closed-end fund is a diversified way to invest in MLPs in the pipeline business, and is AFAIK the only fund in this field apart from KED the sister fund. They do the tax paperwork for you so it is even suitable for taxable accounts. NatGas will stay relatively cheap long enough IMO to continue to support its expanded use for decades. All the new O&G shale fields will require new pipelines to bring their output to market while the old ones will remain in operation. You can develop NG facilities without having to fight the enviros too much. The yield is very nice, partly because of the leverage, and does not depend on energy prices. Fees are very high indeed but a good part of that is interest cost on their leverage. They are currently selling at a small discount. Lastly, the fund is run by an energy development financer rather than a purely financial firm.

Long Shot: This has to be a gold mining junior because they are so very, very cheap in relation to the price of gold. The one I own the most of now is PVG, so that is my pick. They are 3 years from planned commercial production (although they will pull a 10,000t bulk sample next year which will help finance the mine construction) and are not fully permitted yet but are in British Columbia which is a safer jurisdiction than most in which to try to open a mine.
They have world class resources in terms of tonnage, and at the Valley of the Kings they have the richest orebody I am aware of anywhere. It is 11m oz. and growing, though quite compact, and riddled with the coarsest visible gold you are likely to see anywhere. I don't think the price reflects the profit potential of the VOK deposit, let alone their other underground resources at the site or the colossal low grade bulk tonnage. The orebody is so large and rich that I expect any difficulties will be overwhelmed as they try to get this operation underway. For instance if money gets tight, they will be the last ones still able to get financing.

The worst drawback IMO is the location, which is an expensive place to work. The access road runs across a glacier. I didn't know that could be done.

Ed.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here is who I have so far for the contest.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiAhpKxiDm4dGl...

If I have left out someone or messed up their contest picks, let me know.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Safe Pick: Sprott Resource SCP on the Toronto Exchange. Newly declared monthly dividend; stock buybacks up to $4.60 CDN per share; great resource portfolio.

Longshot: Grupo Prisa (PRIS) Spanish Media Company. Essentially an option play on whether they survive as a going concern. NYSE ADR's.
mwparker, picks noted.

--

Time to make my picks announcement. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but this
year I had a more difficult time deciding on my picks. Well, I did say one pick would likely
be a shipping idea. Maybe that helped the decision along.

Tanker shipping, both crude oil and refined product is going through a transition. First, the
sector is dealing with a supply of vessels ordered during the go-go times about 5-7 years ago.
Then there's the changes in the refinery locations. Older, less efficient refineries
closing, and new refineries in different locations opening up. Then there's China growth
as a major oil consumer. So my pick is a shipping company that operates in both the crude oil
sector and the refined products side. That would be Navios Maritime Acquisition Corp (NNA).
I'm actually making it my safe bet because the company opts to fix vessels on time charters,
thus avoiding the choppiness of the spot market.

The longshot pick started with much larger entities e.g. Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF), Lucent
(ALU), Nokia (NOK). Then I changed my mind. To make things interesting I decided to go
with another smaller company- Reeds Inc (REED), a small carbonated drink manufacturer.
So that's my longshot pick.

HoHum
My long shot: PTSC

PTSC is FINALLY making headway in their long legal battles against patent infringers.

Safe bet: WFC

Housing is bouncing back, and WFC is pre-eminent in the mortgage business, and also still very undervalued.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiAhpKxiDm4dGl......

Hohum777,

I think you reversed namkato's choices. WFC should be safe bet.

im
"...Benevolent Dictator of 2013 METAR Contest..."

Dear Benevolent Dictator:

I'm stubborn. Capstone Turbine has a block-buster product and patents on their product. They need a partner who can manufacture on a bigger scale.

For the second, JPM. You just can't keep a big banker down!

Your same ol' Fool,
FM
Hohum777,

I think you reversed namkato's choices. WFC should be safe bet.

im

Thanks for the catch- Corrected.
Thanks for the catch- Corrected.

Oh great and munificent leader who is perfect in all ways, are you sure they are not trying to cover for their own failings?

In truth the terms are somewhat subjective and the process still encourages the Hail Mary pass?

The Mini-METaR (sometimes called the "Mining and Metals" or even "Dirt") board as I'm sure your greatness is aware, uses market cap which is somewhat less subjective. Perhaps a blending of the two systems in future is worth a look?

Tim <bowing deeply in your presence> 443
hey infallible one.....I am ready to win....

Dave
My long shot is Great Panther Silver Ltd (GPL)-NYSE
and once again I stick with
Silver Wheaton Corp. (SLW)-NYSE for the sure thing.

The dollar is going down and metals will be the only place to store wealth until "they" figure out if we will continue to be a republic or become a dictatorship.

I vote for a republic.
Longshot: Lightwave Logic (LWLG)
Safe(r): VirnetX (VHC)

With 4G LTE Advanced moving forward quickly, I expect licensing activity for VHC's secure communications technology to really pick up in 2013. I also think the recent court victory over Apple will result in a settlement rather than an appeal, and I expect another victory for VHC in their upcoming trial vs. Cisco/Siemens/Avaya. The company enters 2013 with much less risk than it faced in 2012.

Lightwave is highly speculative, but I'm placing a bet that this is the year they demonstrate the viability of their electro-optical polymers and begin to sign customers to contracts and generate meaningful revenue. (Then again, I thought that was going to happen in 2012.)
Here is who I have so far for the contest...

I always have a hard time deciding how stupid I want to look to all the really good stock pickers around here. Well, having consistently been among the worst stock pickers, I figure I might as well continue my losing streak.

Here goes nothing:

Safe Bet: QCOM (Qualcomm, Inc.)

Long Shot: HZNP (Horizon Pharma, Inc.)

;-)

P.S. Index ETFs were designed for stock pickers such as myself.
Thanks for including my entry. I'll stay with one of my choices from 2012:

Safe Bet: JNJ (Johnson & Johnson, Inc.)

Long Shot: TGLDX (Tocqueville Gold Fund)

'38Packard
Hi Hohum,

Safe bet - Apple AAPL

Long shot - Seagate Technology STX
Safe bet: AGQ

Longshot bet: AGQ
Safe bet: AGQ

Longshot bet: AGQ

Verboten! Read the rules again
Hohum:

For my long shot, I'll stick with wonderful GLC.CN...now that
1.They've dropped over 70% since I originally selected them.
2.They've agreed a deal with Petromanas (PMI.CN) which gives access to Albanian prospects, and
3. Shell has put $50 mil into PMI in a farmout so the combined companies will actually have cash to spend on drilling for a change.

And for my safe bet I'll go with KMF because I like the MLP holdings that include tankers and other good things besides just pipelines. MLPs have just had one of their worst years because people seem to worry about taxes and stuff.

jz
For my long shot, I'll stick with wonderful GLC.CN

So what is the full company name or the stock exchange with .CN extension?
full company name or the stock exchange with .CN extension?

Gallic Energy Ltd. Toronto Venture Exchange.

The symbol will change to PMI on the same exchange after the deal closes. I will give you the details when I know them.

jz
Gallic Energy Ltd. Toronto Venture Exchange.

The symbol will change to PMI on the same exchange after the deal closes. I will give you the details when I know them.

jz

Okay, so a .V (for Yahoo! Finance).

If the deal is pending, was there an agreed PMI price? Shouldn't I just be using the PMI.V ticker?
Re: Gallic Energy

If the deal is pending, was there an agreed PMI price? Shouldn't I just be using the PMI.V ticker?

I checked and the exchange terms have now been approved. So my new "Long shot" is PMI.V.

Thanks,

jz
Safe pick---HERO

Risky pick---RIC

While I own both, these do not represent advice for anyone else, personally known or internet anonymous. Do you own due diligence.

Poz
HoHum,

I received the following email in reply to 2012 results:

Will you be running the 2013 contest?

If so please enter under matson15:
Conservative Investment: SLW
Swing for the fense investment: STTYF

I hold both now and will continue to hold both a year from now -- with hopes of accumulating more in 1st half 2013 when I'm expecting some turbulence to provide lower prices temporarily.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
matson15
(Ed Huffman)

Your call, oh mighty ruler, on allowing late entries.

Cheers,

Doug
No. of Recommendations: 3
Your call, oh mighty ruler, on allowing late entries.

Cheers,

Doug

While I could be despotic, I have decided to be reasonable and allow the change. But with
a condition attached. To make it fair, all contestants who have second thoughts on their
respective picks are allowed to change their picks. However, the condition is, the
starting price of your pick is the higher of the 12/31/2012 price and the 1/4/2013 price.
Same rules for any new entrants. Offer good till close of trading tomorrow.

Dictator HoHum has spoken
BCTim, takes some discipline to stay with the same picks. Good luck >Hohum777

Not really Hohum all of the storyline remains the same for these two. They kept me just ahead of the S&P 500 for the last year and I have again much higher expectations for them this year. One thing I haven't mentioned about RIG is that 20% of their rigs are up for new contracts in the coming year and this in a rising day rate market. Also Rig settled their Macondo(sp) liability at 1.4 billion, lower then most anyone was expecting and stabilizing their outlook going forward. FCEL is expected to reach profitability this year which I think will make them an easy double or triple if they accomplish that feat by years end.

This year is starting off much like last year when I led the contest sprinting out of the gate until mid March. I'm up 20% in the first week so I will boast once again that if I can keep up this pace I will be retired by spring break :) though I am hoping for a smoother steady ride the rest of the year. bcTim