No. of Recommendations: 10
Okay, I worked out the numbers excluding any dividends paid out this month.
Top "Safe bet" picks
1. BlueCollarTim RIG 26.98%
2. dikka VHC 19.26%
3. HoHum777 NNA 15.35%

Top longshot picks
1. mwparker PRIS 20.34%
2. dikka LWLG 19.32%
3. BlueCollarTim FCEL 18.48%

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AqiAhpKxiDm4dGl...

For some reason, Google Docs doesn't like BRK-B, the LSE listings and the US $ Index, so those
have to be imported separately. So the % gain is a one-time snapshot for 1/31 data.

Both averages are trailing the SPY (my proxy for the S&P 500) so our picks have some work
to do.

One month gone, lots of time for picks to move up or down.

Eyeballing the numbers, the top 3 safe bet contestants are the top 3 overall

11 months to go ...
HoHum
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Try BRK.B

That worked last year.

Cheers,

Doug
PS: I forgot to say "WOW!!!". Those are some pretty impressive numbers the leaders are posting! Me? Trailing the average.... as usual.

Cheers,

Doug
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hohum.

besides the adoration, what do I get when I win?

Dave, is it all worth it?
PS: I forgot to say "WOW!!!". Those are some pretty impressive numbers the leaders are posting! Me? Trailing the average.... as usual.

Cheers,

Doug

Out the gate, there typically are a few ideas that get nice bounces. I know BlueCollarTim owns
shares of both his picks, so he's probably cheering more loudly. For that matter, I also
own both of my contest picks. Now, whether the leaders will still be holding up 11 months
from now, is the more interesting aspect.
Try BRK.B

That worked last year.

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks Doug- that fixed the issue with BRK.B

I thought I had tried that initially. Just for sanity sake, I tried the two London Stock
Exchange ideas again- still no go with .L or .LON (In any case, it is only three that have
the issue)
I wanted a cruise with LoboDoug but after leading last year for 3 months and him not coming through with a prize guarantee my picks began to flounder <sarcasm>
BCTim.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Not only do I own both RIG and FCEL Hohum but they are 35% of my total euity portfolio
Retire at 55 or go the distance 67 years old and walking a cement factory floor, there will be no in between! Lol!
BCTim
Not only do I own both RIG and FCEL Hohum but they are 35% of my total euity portfolio
Retire at 55 or go the distance 67 years old and walking a cement factory floor, there will be no in between! Lol!
BCTim

Sounds like you are one of those "concentrated portfolio" guys. I find myself get too
distracted trying to find the right combination of picks, so I keep on adding ideas to my
port, and trimming others. I wish you well on your plan.
bluecollarTim: I wanted a cruise with LoboDoug but after leading last year for 3 months and him not coming through with a prize guarantee my picks began to flounder.

Tim - I might be returning to the Caribbean, leaving in about a year. If so, I will have to sail around the "Cape of Storms", at the Southern tip of South Africa.* Feel free to come join me for that lovely jaunt.

* The alternatives are either run Pirate Alley in up the Red Sea to the Suez canal, or go around the even stormier Cape Horn.

Cheers,

Doug
If so, I will have to sail around the "Cape of Storms", at the Southern tip of South Africa.* Feel free to come join me for that lovely jaunt.

* The alternatives are either run Pirate Alley in up the Red Sea to the Suez canal, or go around the even stormier Cape Horn.

Cheers,

Doug

All three sound like great fun to this lubber.

Tim <not blue collar> 443
Tim - I might be returning to the Caribbean, leaving in about a year. If so, I will have to sail around the "Cape of Storms", at the Southern tip of South Africa.* Feel free to come join me for that lovely jaunt.

I like storms, send me an email and I will see if I can get a ticket to meet you.

Cheers
Qazulight
If so, I will have to sail around the "Cape of Storms", at the Southern tip of South Africa.* Feel free to come join me for that lovely jaunt.

Cheers,

Doug

All three sound like great fun to this lubber.

Yeah, the sort of thing that I might like to hear or read someone else's tales about.
Yeah, the sort of thing that I might like to hear or read someone else's tales about.

Scheesch who the heck wants to live forever anyway? I tried to talk the lady of the house into doing one of those Freighter travel trips around the world, she brought up some story about her Dad's heart condition. Eight years later all the healthy people around him are dead and he is collecting on their wills and cracking jokes.

He has a hearing the end of Feb on his sister's will due to an error in a change. }};-()

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 2
ADoug if I win this years contest I may take you up on that. If fcel triples and rig doubles, a possibility I consider not out of the relm. Then I would be very close to my retirement(quitting the factory life) and free to sail.
Tim