Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
Great balls of fire! I think my wife and I will plan a round the world cruise with the extra money.
the average Medicare supplement is going up about that much, too.....

so folks won't see a lot of money

My Mutual of Omaha plan F was going up $27 a month. My agent called today and we decided to switch to different provider. Save 20 bucks a month. Mutual of Omaha apparently facing big backlog of claims.....
and spent too much.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I predict that the 1.7% increase will be eaten up in increased Part B premiums, not to count what the increase in Medigap will be.

Donna
Tele, I switched from Mutual of Omaha last year, as their increase in premiums was ridiculous. I really feel they may get out of the Medicare business in the not-to-distant future. You are like me...you have an insurance agent who looks after your best interests. Mine e-mails me and advises me my choices when mine comes up for renewal (June of each year).

In 2013, I will probably wait until the open enrollment to change plans, and just eat the increase in premiums for my current coverage until then.

Donna
I predict that the 1.7% increase will be eaten up in increased Part B premiums, not to count what the increase in Medigap will be.

I guess that means no round the world cruise next year.
It's just a darn good thing there is no inflation!!! Or should I say, there is no inflation on things I don't buy.

Yea, that's the ticket. (apologies to SNL)
No. of Recommendations: 8
Great balls of fire! I think my wife and I will plan a round the world cruise with the extra money.

"Social Security payments for retired workers average $1,237 a month, or about $14,800 a year." For many people, Social Security is the only income they have. To these people a $252 increase is meaningful. I think your remark is condescending and insensitive and echoes Romney’s “47 percent of Americans are government freeloaders who see themselves as victims” comment.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"Social Security payments for retired workers average $1,237 a month, or about $14,800 a year." For many people, Social Security is the only income they have. To these people a $252 increase is meaningful. I think your remark is condescending and insensitive and echoes Romney’s “47 percent of Americans are government freeloaders who see themselves as victims” comment.

I could care less what you think.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Wow, that's cold enough to cause me to go back and give a recommendation to the previous post. But then I'm sure you could care less about what I think as well.

Most of us who read these threads are far enough up the ladder that we think we've gotten our share of the pie, even if the pie is not fairly distributed. But "let them eat cake" gloating?
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think your remark is condescending and insensitive and echoes Romney’s “47 percent of Americans are government freeloaders who see themselves as victims” comment.

With all due respect, I believe that Romney stated shortly after that remark that he was not referring to anyone receiving Social Security or Medicare as he is well aware that these are things that the people have paid into.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Romney’s "47 percent of Americans are government freeloaders who see themselves as victims"

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/18/report-welfare-governments...

The government spent approximately $1.03 trillion on 83 means-tested federal welfare programs in fiscal year 2011 alone — a price tag that makes welfare that year the government's largest expenditure.

The total sum taxpayers spent on federal welfare programs was derived from a new Congressional Research Service (CRS) report on federal welfare spending — which topped out at $745.84 billion for fiscal year 2011 — combined with an analysis from the Republican Senate Budget Committee staff of state spending on federal welfare programs (based on The Oxford Handbook of State and Local Government Finance), which reached $282.7 billion in fiscal year 2011.

The data excludes spending on Social Security, Medicare, means-tested health care for veterans without service-connected disabilities, and the means-tested veterans pension program.

Whether it's 47% or a lesser figure, $1 trillion is a lot of loot for programs for folks who didn't pay into them or otherwise earn it. That's a lot of competition for our SS and Medicare benefits and for funds to keep the country safe.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 2
With all due respect, I believe that Romney stated shortly after that remark that he was not referring to anyone receiving Social Security or Medicare as he is well aware that these are things that the people have paid into.

We all know what he said to explain his remark to a group of wealthy donors, but we really know what he meant. Romney has a habit of shooting from the hip and explaining later.
Romney tried to walk it back after his own party's leaders jumped all over him but he never backed away from the 47%, which did include people on SS, etc. My deceased mother was one of those people in her 70's and 80's. She voted Republican more often than not but I suspect Romney's insentitive comments would have cost him her vote.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I could care less what you think.

Awwww, he cares!