Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
2020investor,

Not an answer that exactly addresses your OP, but...

If you do alot of charitable contributions (or expect to), charitable contributions from a 401K count towards your RMDs and you do not pay tax on those contributions.

I was wrestling with your situation until a couple of years ago when I read about this. We have $350K in 401K accounts and have 6 years until we have to take RMDs. I expect we will be making $20K in charitable contributions when we hit 70 1/2, so, if we do not need the money to subsidize our lifestyle, I will use it for the charitable contributions.

Yeah, I won't get to count them on my itemized deductions, but, by then, I will be using the standard deduction anyway.

Just another thought for you to ponder. :)

PW
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.