Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 105
So I'm going up to Boston next week because we've lost our tenant of 11 years, and the condo we (still) own up there probably needs work. Since a lightning strike took out my laptop and I'm still sporting a 2000 model Motorola StarTac for a cell phone, I was resigned to being off the grid for several weeks, and that was that.

But then I "happened" to wander into the Apple store and picked up an iPhone and toyed around with it. "$599, are they crazy? I'm not going to pay that for a PHONE!" So an hour later (heh) I walked out of the store, empty handed, but at least I'd seen one. Heck, my wife's boss got one (two, actually) on the first day, and she's been raving about it ever since.

Well, anyway, I had to go to the mall the next day for something else, although I really can't remember what, and there I was in the Apple store, diddling around with the iPhone again. The salesman, Chris, grinned bigger than Alice's Cheshire Cat as he spotted me, and he sidled over and proceeded to show me a couple of the other features I'd managed to overlook.

OK, another half hour, and I walked out, walked the length of the store to Brookstone, bought a $20 hand-held battery fan, pivoted and headed back to the Apple store and had Chris put an iPhone in a bag for me. Plus a car charger, plus a bluetooth headset, plus a year of AppleCare, plus I don't even remember what else, plus tax, and it was $817 to get out of the place. 30 day return, 10% open box restocking fee, AT&T contract required, blah blah blah.

Sadly, I was starving, so I headed to the food court for some greasy finger food, and there's no way I'm going to break the box open that way, so it sat there, beckoning me, which is to say I wolfed down the food and hit the street.

I've read stories about "the packaging" - and they're not wrong. The box and the accoutrements are as engaging as the phone itself. OK, not really, but close, and I took great care getting each piece out of it's oh-so-careful wrapping and plugged it all in. Cool!

And now on my screen, as the iPhone launches iTunes, I get a message "Unknown Error 0xE800002" in a Macintosh dialog box. So I unplug everything, plug it back in, and get "Unknown Error 0xE800002" again. I call the store, which forwards me to AppleCare, and the guy and I spend an hour trying to figure it out. "That's a Windows error code", he explains. "Good," I say. "I'm on a Mac." "Really?" he says. "Really."

After rebooting, restarting, repreferencing, we decide to quit iTunes, delete it, redownload it, reinstall it, and voila, I have an iPhone! Yippee! I'm not even pissed about the hour sucked out of my life with a Windows Error Code in the middle of my Mac screen.

I go through the activation process and realize that the monthly charges are going to be far (that's far) higher than I am used to paying, but I don't care. Really, I don't. I activate, and all is right with the world.

I call my landline, talk to my answering machine. I call from my landline, and talk to myself with a phone in each hand. I am deliriously happy, but Mrs. Goofy is at a conference and my best friend is out for the afternoon, so I have no one to talk to except my parents, who will not understand that I am not calling them to actually talk, just to gurgle, and they're 88 or so so they can barely hear me anyway. Heck, they can barely hear anything.

Well anyway, now I set about dumping a ton of music onto the wafer, and maybe a few videos just to show off, and some pictures, of course, and I spend the next couple hours learning to use the keyboard and playing with all the features, especially the ones I'll probably never use again. And it is wonderful.

And so I chew through the better part of a Wednesday, and I can finally talk to Mrs. Goofy at her conference; it's now 10:30 at night. Geez, maybe it's too late to call. Nah, and I push the magic buttons and get "Call Failed" on the screen.

Whaaa? I look, and in the upper left corner it says "No service."

Whaaa? I walk around the house, and no matter where I go, it says "No service."

I walk outside, I walk to the second floor, I think about climbing on the roof, it says "No service." Well this is bullspit. Maybe it's my fault. I turn the phone off, do some of the magic "reboot" stuff the AppleCare guy taught me; nothing. I call the AT&T help line, they're closed, of course.

I go to bed, dejected, and happen to wake at 5:15AM. The AT&T help line doesn't open until 7, so I go about my business, and wait, the phone is showing bars. Not many - actually just about 1/2 of 1, but it's a BAR! I call myself, and talk to myself through my landline. I use the landline to call the iPhone, and it works!.

7:00 comes and goes, it's time to walk the dog, I take the phone with me and it says "No service." At two places in the neighborhood I get "bars" (1/2 of 1) and I am able to make a call to make an appointment for our cats later in the day at the vet. Then it returns to "no bars."

At 8:00 I call the AT&T line, and politely but briefly, she suggests I call Apple, "because it sounds like an equipment problem." But I don't have the number, and I am too frustrated to look it up, so I wait for the store to open and "Punch 2 to be transferred to AppleCare," which I do.

Now I don't think "No service" is Apple's problem, but the guy walks me through turning Airplane Mode off and on, turning the whole unit off an on, etc. and it still says "No service." While I am on the phone with him, I go back to the AT&T coverage map (www.att.com/support) and notice that there are four levels of coverage: "Best" "Good" "Moderate" and "none", which is mostly in Nevada, apparently. I'm in "moderate", but the Apple guy says that's baloney, they take those measurements in the middle of winter when there are no leaves on the trees, and then when the leaves come back out, you're screwed.

And I'm screwed. I have no signal, and a $817 substandard iPod which can rarely, but occasionally make a phonecall. And I'm out $80 worth of "restocking fee", plus the hassle of returning it, and the hassle of closing the AT&T account, and blah blah blah, and I'm bummed.

But the experience in the Apple Store is delightful; Chris sees me walking back in with the bag in my hand and he knows it's trouble. And they wave the restocking fee and they're really really sorry, but no, they don't know any 17 year-olds with a soldering iron so I can use the phone with Verizon, and that's that.

Now since I've moved my old cell number to the iPhone, and I want to keep it, I have to go to Verizon to make the switch back. Which they will do, except they're "not permitted" to reactivate my old StarTac because it doesn't comply with some FCC regulation about 911 or something, but they'll be only too happy to sell me a new "compliant" phone and grab my number back.

Well, this story has gone on much too long already (if you think this is long, you should have lived it), but suffice it to say that I walked out of the Verizon store down about $500, between phone, case, spare battery, 2GB memory card, paying the old bill, paying the new bill upfront and all that etcetera.

$500 bucks, and I have a really nice KRZR or whatever the dogamn thing is called, with a tiny screen and you can't see a damn thing and there's no keyboard and the songs don't import from a Mac (there's a really kludgy workaround), and blah blah blah. I'm out 5-large, I'm locked for two years, and I don't have an iPhone.

Life sucks sometimes and this is one of the times. I'd have you call me to give me some sympathy, but I'd have to use the dogamn KRZR and it would just piss me off. I could "txt msg" u, but y shud I? And web access? Is there a website that fits on a postage stamp? Motorola should include a wallet magnifier if they're trying to sell this thing as "web compliant." Looks like I'm untethered for a few weeks after all.

Oh, on my way out of the Apple Store, feeling so good about my treatment there, I had Chris walk me over to the video iPods. Nope, screen's too small. I'll wait. Given the reception for the cool screen on the iPhone, no way Stevie doesn't put a big hawker on the iPod pretty soon (and maybe some of the other features too), and I'll be there to buy one. Maybe he could sneak a phone in the case somewhere and sell it with some other carrier?

Just an idea.

Steve, you listening?

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've said from day one that Steve should have hammered out a Verizon deal. I hold shares in T, as well as AAPL & VZ, and it hurts my portfolio more to see T slip, but of everything I've read their service coverage is just crappy in too many areas. VZ was the old GTE Mobilenet, had solid decent coverage back in analog days and has been building, updating sine. Steve needs to get in with the VZ guys, they run their networks better, smarter, understand their systems better than Sprint and apparently what is now at&t... 2 years.. 18 months... patience.. must have patience... Steve must have a CDMA version in his back pocket..

weco
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the honesty Goofy. My experience with Apple, as new lap-top purchaser has been a bit disappointing so far too. Hey, at least you managed to find one of their very few stores. I guess the Apple stores must be really cool, because whatever "it" is that they are selling in there, "it" really sells. Let's hope they improve. I still love my I-Tunes though.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I feel sorry for you. I too wish it had been Verion instead of AT&T. Verizon just has the best coverage, period. I have good ATT coverage where I am but there are parts of my state where there is no ATT coverage and if you go across the border into Vermont you will have no coverage whatsoever.

I am in for two years with ATT on this iphone but once the contract ends, I hope apple has deals with other carriers. As I would prefer Verizon to ATT any day.
I live in a moderate area, but across the street is excellent or whatever they call it. My iPhone at home gets four bars, 1/2 bar and back up. I cannot get new You Tube videos in my house. Yesterday I was talking to someone also in a moderate area and the calls dropped.

I have not had that kind of service with Verizon in years. I live in a heavily wooded area, so I am glad to hear that when the leaves fall, my service might improve LOL.

I do love my iPhone. Verizon buds are PO'd because now it costs them minutes to call me. What I really love is the ease of use, and all the video stuff, calendar and reminders. Don't really need the music, I have an iPod.

So I will stick out the two years.

Birgit
I walked out of the Verizon store down about $500, between phone, case, spare battery, 2GB memory card, paying the old bill, paying the new bill upfront and all that etcetera.

How did you end up down $500 just for that? I signed up with Verizon a couple of months ago and walked out of the store with two LG VX8300's (one for my wife, one for me), two cases, a headset, a car charger, and a music transfer kit for a total of $180. Less $50 rebate that showed up a while later.

Granted, I didn't buy the memory cards then, because I knew Verizon's were overpriced. I purchased the cards from Newegg instead. That set me back another $50 for two 2GB microSD's.

There's not much functional difference between a KRazor and the phones we purchased. THe KRazor's a bit thinner and a bit wider, but they do the same things. The screen is tiny on both, they both have cameras I don't care about, they both play music, both have bluetooth for wireless headsets if you care about that sort of thing.

Neither one is intended for web access, period. For that, you need a PDA phone like the Treo 700p. I don't think you would have liked that much, though, given my experience browsing web pages on a Palm TX. Quite aside from the somewhat smaller screen, the web browser is terrible.

Transferring music from iTunes is a pain, but that's at least as much Apple's fault as Verizon's. Transferring the files is trivial, just plug the microSD card into a USB card reader and move the files to the My Music or My MP3 folder. The problem is iTunes, much as I like it, uses that AAC format that they won't let anyone else read. Which means the clumsy workaround of burning the songs to CD and then ripping them to MP3 which the rest of the world can read.

Verizon's problem in this is that they won't give you a straightforward set of instructions for transferring music to the phone. They want you to buy everything through VCast music instead of iTunes, and use their absolutely awful Music Manager software. You don't have to do that, but they don't want to tell you that.

- Gus
No. of Recommendations: 8
Personally, I've found that no matter which carrier Apple would have paired with, someone would be unhappy. In my area, Verizon just absolutely S U C K S with their coverage. We have good AT&T coverage. Go figure.

And Apple was pretty much screwed with any of the telco's and their customer service as well. Honestly, has anyone ever had any good experiences with customer service? (Duck, no offense meant to you... and you don't count on this one). I don't know anyone who is 'happy' with their carrier. Perhaps Apple's best move would have been to start their own MVNO, but then they would still be stuck with one of the existing crummy networks. But at least they would have better customer service.

In all honesty, my hope is that by being in bed with Apple that AT&T absorbs some of the good vibes coming from Cupertino and improves their business practices. I was most hopeful that this might be happening when the EDGE speed upgrades were being discovered just before the iPhone launch. But then we've had the ridiculously long phone bills and repeated idiocy from AT&T. At least they seem to be learning faster than before with dropping the detailed paper billing for a mostly web based one. But they still have a long way to go.

In the meantime, I still love my iPhone and wouldn't trade it for any other device out there.

Best Regards,

Sparty
I have to say i totally agree with that post. My scenario is I'm a VZW employee and Apple share holder. I would have loved to see the Iphone in our 2000 plus locations flying off the shelves as a stock holder, but as an employee I cannot fault management for not going with the deal. They did not want a handset maker to share in the service revenue. If they caved into that demand every time the next hot phone came out the hand set makers would demand a piece of the pie. While our coverage is not the best everywhere it is the top rated coverage in most of the large footprint we support.

I hope in the near future all major carriers are selling the iphone, iphone nano, and the next great gadgets.
I hope in the near future all major carriers are selling the iphone, iphone nano, and the next great gadgets.

So are you saying that Verizon would support high-end unlocked handsets in the US?
Well, I'm retired now, but our guys at what was Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Installation installed, turned up the original AMPS setup, I was tied up in switching, but did hit thise schools, then later as we did the conversions to CDMA, we had just about finished off the Sprint syste, also CDMA.. So we had both sides going, saw it as it came up and as the AMPS units declined.. VZ still has the more savvy system operators, but i think I'm repeating myself. But with the 1EVD0 well along in some areas it is a good leap forward.. Met or talked to a lot of good folks at VZ, which was strange, because up here in Norcal at least we had no contact prior in POTS switching.. On the other side, we had all the switching for PacBell, but when they went to wireless via Cingular, zero contact.. So, they lost, went GSM, even tho out here, the Pacific basin is mainly CDMA.. I know we sent a lot of CDMA hardware into Asia.. Then we thought with at&t taking over they had a chance to recover, swing over, not happening, too expensive to restart,i guess..

As far as the Apple dealings, I hope somebody blinks, re-thinks. and we do see a future CDMA version, or a dual or tri-mode version, it can be done..
No. of Recommendations: 6
-----------------
And Apple was pretty much screwed with any of the telco's and their customer service as well. Honestly, has anyone ever had any good experiences with customer service? (Duck, no offense meant to you... and you don't count on this one). I don't know anyone who is 'happy' with their carrier.
-------------------

i have Trac-fone, which i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) uses several networks, which ever one it finds in each area. (i think including ATT and Verizon) i have no idea, because they simply work, i've never called them because of trying to find out what was wrong, because it never goes wrong, no matter where i am, including in friends homes where they can't get their own service.. all for 10 cents a minute... everywhere i've been, including Hawaii, to Nantucket, I've checked them out completely and many places inbetween.... which pretty much covers both boarders, it ALWAYS WORKS...i haven't been back to alaska with it yet though.... it is simply amazing... if there is a network, it will work.

Apple should have simply done the same thing as Trac-fone, or bought them out...and added the internet, plus the wireless.... 10 cents a minute, PERIOD. they pay the other networks their cut... you get excellent service, if you talk alot, you pay alot, if you talk a little you pay a little...... Apple makes money on the hardware, a little on the minutes, forks over the rest of the money to the networks for their service, just like trac-fone, everyone is happy... no 300 page bill, BECAUSE THERE IS NO BILL.... no surprises on payments on bills, BECAUSE THERE are NO BILLS, you pay for minutes, they auto apply to your phone. no questions asked. no bills, no hassles, no 2 year commitments, NO COMMITMENTS AT ALL..... if you want to talk, you buy minutes in chunks.

what in the world Apple is doing locking themselves into one network still escapes me... and for FIVE DOGMANNED years... what were they thinking? sometimes you just want to throttle someone high up....

the best gadget on the planet, and they felt like bringing in another Pepsi salesman to run that part of the business? haven't they figured out by now that they have to do it themselves? that the Pepsi salesman of the world actually don't know what they are doing? how many times does it take for them to stop thinking they have to hire the Pepsi salesman to be the "expert"?

jon.
Hi Jonkai,
I don't own a cell phone presently because the service for all carriers stinks where I am located so I did a Google Search for Trac-fone to see if it might be worth it for me.
The third link down for Trac-fone was for Consumer Affairs complaints and although your experience seems different, there was no shortage of problems listed.
Perhaps they are not ready to play in the size market Apple would have brought them or perhaps Apple recognized the difficulties inherent in running this type of business model themselves.
Pete

Here's the link...
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/tracfone.html
There are more links to the right of the story
----------The third link down for Trac-fone was for Consumer Affairs complaints----------

when you look for pebbles on a sandy beach, rather than looking for sand, you are going to find enough to justify any position you want to take at how rough the beach was by laying those pebbles out on a bear table a long ways from the beach, and presenting that as evidence to support your thesis....... in otherwords, you could have put the word ATT in substitution of your post for tracfone, and people would not have even blinked an eye, especially the part about "ready to play"......

what you are not completing in that research, is how much sand you passed by. where is the research number of people who did not lodge a complaint?.... nor whether the complaints are legit or not.... you could have done some more looking at the legitimacy of the complaints... this would have given you an idea of the "type" of the very few people complaining in that extremely small sample.

a simple call to tracfone, for instance, to find out whether someone complaining that they had their phone stolen and was told they could get their mins back was legit or not....

you might want to give Tracfone a call about 10 times, and ask 10 different support people what happens to your mins if your phone is stolen.... word it slightly differently, and make sure you get different customer support people each time...... and compare those 10 answers to the "complaint" that someone posted that they got as an answer, and make a decision on whether that person was mad because they lost their phone and mins, and wanted a less painful free lunch, or whether it is was a legit representation of what is really a complaint or not when you call customer service....

the same can be said with many of the rest of the complaints..... very few, and very suspect... you should follow up on that research and bring all the caboodle to the table..... i'd be interested in your 10 calls research for one..

jon.
Whaaa? I look, and in the upper left corner it says "No service."

Whaaa? I walk around the house, and no matter where I go, it says "No service."

I walk outside, I walk to the second floor, I think about climbing on the roof, it says "No service." Well this is bullspit. Maybe it's my fault. I turn the phone off, do some of the magic "reboot" stuff the AppleCare guy taught me; nothing. I call the AT&T help line, they're closed, of course.

I go to bed, dejected, and happen to wake at 5:15AM. The AT&T help line doesn't open until 7, so I go about my business, and wait, the phone is showing bars. Not many - actually just about 1/2 of 1, but it's a BAR! I call myself, and talk to myself through my landline. I use the landline to call the iPhone, and it works!.

Sounds very similar to my Razr experience with Verizon. Sometimes you have bars, sometimes you have a useless device. It all depends on where you are, and who really gives a damn.
I live up in the hills of L.A. and have been tortured by ATT service for two years. I needed a new phone and was tempted (gross understatement) by the iPhone, but was put off by the idea of having to remain with ATT to get it. After much research of the Treo and the new Blackberry 8380... I bought the iPhone. I just couldn't not have it. It was too beautiful... too revolutionary and elegant. I had to have it. And the best is, I was rewarded for my emotional buy with a surprisingly reliable signal. I have only had one dropped call at my house where with my former phone, I could not even get a signal. And it has been decent around twon as well.

I'm glad I went with the iPhone. Do I wish it had come with Verizon? Yes. But an iPhone with ATT is better than no iPhone at all. At least in L.A.

Vivienne
what in the world Apple is doing locking themselves into one network still escapes me... and for FIVE DOGMANNED years

As far as I know, the only confirmed number is 2 years. The five year exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T is only a rumor. Do you have any confirmation of it?
As far as I know, the only confirmed number is 2 years. The five year exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T is only a rumor. Do you have any confirmation of it?

I've heard the 5 year mantra repeated enough times in the media, and the source from what I've been able to find was this article in USA Today back in May.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/2007-05-21-at&t-iphone_N.htm

Prior to that USA Today article, every mention of the contract was 2 years exclusive. I've never found anything from Apple indicating that the contract was that long. In fact, to the best of my recollection, the contract was announced in Jobs January introduction as being 2 years.

It sure would be interesting to know...

Sparty
No. of Recommendations: 5
"what in the world Apple is doing locking themselves into one network still escapes me... and for FIVE DOGMANNED years"

That escapes you? Whatever the time terms (2 years? 5 years?) the answer to "why?" seems to be because of the unprecedented monthly reoccurring revenue gravy cut to Apple that other service providers probably weren't or wouldn't be as open to (or would require their own early exclusive period thus trading one exclusive for another). In this case from AT&T to Apple there's another $244 (2 year contracts) per every phone sold...wow? Yea, WOW! And that's on-top of iPhone's high margins and before any attachments and battery replacement service gravy. Way cool - way new $$$ for any cell phone maker. ;-)

Either ya believe Apple knows what they're doing in this market or they don't - take your best guess. I don't think Apple is giving up much of anything going with AT&T exclusively, for now, when entering a new market for them and for what is a longer term market opportunity. See iPod that too many of us thought market saturation sensitive or otherwise vulnerable - phones clearly a higher turnover market now and later. We'll see how much monthly kickbacks the AT&T's or Verizons or whomever offer next contract cycle.
B
I'm really glad Goofy was honest and funny enough to write this, but boy did he shine a very bright light on the world of tech gadgetry. I mean, this may be a very sweet gadget, but there are so many shortcomings that I don't even know where to start. Goofy, did you not read any of the blogs or journalists' posts about the crappy ATT service that is almost universal? $817 for a phone?? Are you kidding me???

Why do people feel the need to have a phone that has a camera and a music player when often it does none of them well. I'd love to find a phone that is ONLY a phone and gets service EVERYWHERE, ALL OF THE TIME. I have an iPod, and between it and the iTunes interface, it's a fantastic product! I don't want it to make calls. I have a great little Canon camera that takes phenomenal pix. I don't want it to play music. And you know what? ALL of these products together (including my basic cell phone) did not cost me $817.

I'm glad Apple dropped the price on the iPhone already...just makes those "early adopters" look ridiculous. Congrats for being suckered.

--B
No. of Recommendations: 4
Why do people feel the need to have a phone that has a camera and a music player when often it does none of them well.

In the case of the iPhone, the music player is as good as any on the market. The camera isn't meant to replace a real camera but it is handy to have at times.

I'd love to find a phone that is ONLY a phone and gets service EVERYWHERE, ALL OF THE TIME.

There's no phone that gets service everywhere, all of the time. No matter how good a phone is, there will always be dead spots.

I have an iPod, and between it and the iTunes interface, it's a fantastic product! I don't want it to make calls. I have a great little Canon camera that takes phenomenal pix. I don't want it to play music. And you know what? ALL of these products together (including my basic cell phone) did not cost me $817.

Do you carry all of those devices with you at all times? You must have a heavy purse.

I had a plain cell phone, a PDA, and an iPod. An iPhone replaced all three of them and the iPhone does a better job than each of them individually. And the iPhone has additional capabilities that the other three devices couldn't provide. The iPhone also cost a lot less than three devices that it replaced.
Nice story, you should write for a living. But I really can't feel to bad for you or jump on the Verizon bandwagon. You see my Verizon experience hasn't been much better then your T experience, I have Verizon and I don't get coverage in my apartment and a few other places I frequent in the course of my day. james
Getting off the topic of iPhone a wee bit, I know. I had to respond to the less than thrilled sentiments with Apple though. Bought my wife a Mac Book not even a year ago now. It has been in for repair 3 times. Just bought a new battery for it on 4th visit to the repair shop, but was cheerily told by dude at store that they are way cheaper than PC type batteries so to be happy. The only good things are that, when it works it is sweet, the laptop that is. It is not used for anything high powered, just web access and creating and editing work documents. No fancy media creations with video etc. I kind of feel i it was given a mans job rather than a wifes' it would have folded months ago. I know I am laying myself open to all sorts of retaliation, and rightly so. I merely mean if I was to subject this laptop to some rigorous useage I dread to think of how many times my 3 (well, 4) visits to the repair shop could be multiplied by. I was sold a pretty hefty extended care package that has so far been worth every penny.

Bottom line...PC's/Macs all the same. Guaranteed to the end of the slipway as we used to say in the shipbuilding business. Made in China/Taiwan/Korea take your pick. No QC to speak of. Pay 700 bucks for an Acer or 1500 for a mac. They all last a year.
No. of Recommendations: 3
if it has to go into the repair shop a 4th time,

tell them that you are sick and tired, this macbook is obviously a lemon and they might just give you a brand new macbook.

so I have heard.
"Pay 700 bucks for an Acer or 1500 for a mac. They all last a year."

My beloved Pismo (circa 2000) is still doing fine thank you. I only hope that the new version of OS X will run on a G3 chip set. If not I have to decide whether to implant a G4 chip or get a new Mac laptop...

sgtbill
------------
--------------

oh, maybe it was just a rumor that i read, hopefully you are correct with the 2 year... that would be good news..

jon.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Pay 700 bucks for an Acer or 1500 for a mac. They all last a year.

This obviously isn't true. I know we're all the product of our experiences but it's very important to realize that our experience isn't everyone's experience.

I know people who are thrilled with Dell and others who think they are crap. I know people who are thrilled with Apple and others who think they are crap. My first computer was an Apple II+ which I bought in December of 1981. In between I've had Dells and more Apples. My last Apple purchase was a MacBook Pro this past April. In all, none ever went to the shop. Is my reality truer than yours?

I live in Los Angeles where there's plenty of coverage by both Verizon and ATT. I've had both. For several years at at time. So when people yell about Apple going with ATT, I couldn't care less. I'm with Verizon now and have almost no reception where I currently live. Do I think Verizon is a crappy company? No. At least, not because I don't have reception in my house.

People need to get a grip and realize it's a great big world out there. Products aren't perfect. Companies aren't perfect.

Go outside and plant a flower.
Love my iPhone. Switched from T-Mobile. So far, ATT is much better than T-mobile where I am (New York City and surrounding areas and suburbs).
I had a Sprint contract, and the coverage was awful, so I switched to Cingular Nationwide contract 4 years ago when I purchased my Treo. It was great! I had bars just about everywhere all the time! Then AT&T took over. At first all was the same, but then the service started deteriorating and I was told it was because AT&T was switching some of the Cingular equipment out. For the past 6-9 months the coverage is awful, just awful. Half of my incoming calls never get to me--they go right to voicemail. Bars mysteriously appear and then disappear at the drop of a hat from my home and almost everywhere else. I would switch to Verizon, but that would cost a whole lot more for the same contract.

My nephew-in-law works for AT&T. I told him his company s***ks. He agreed. He suggested I call AT&T and explain the problems I've been having. Haven't done that yet.

I'm not the only one having this problem. Fellow co-workers who were with Cingular and also got absorbed are complaining about the same thing. We are all in New York City, but have problems in other areas too. Leave it to AT&T to muck up what was once great coverage from Cingular.

2old
People need to get a grip and realize it's a great big world out there. Products aren't perfect. Companies aren't perfect.

Amen! I'd like to know if anyone actually loves their cell phone company. Apparently it's impossible. :)
No. of Recommendations: 5

Amen! I'd like to know if anyone actually loves their cell phone company. Apparently it's impossible. :)

I don't love my former carrier. I switched from Sprint to ATT on June 12. My Samsung broke and I couldn't wait until June 29 (I upgraded to an iPhone on that date). In a telephone conversation with the Sprint agent I asked for, received and paid my outstanding balance and contract cancellation fee. I also asked that my telephone number be transported to ATT.

Ever since I have been battling Sprint, as their system does not show me cancelling the contract, and they continue to bill me. They can't explain how the Sprint supplied telephone number was transported to ATT without the contract cancellation fee (for which I have a charge on my credit card statement).

My account has been turned over to a collections agency. Ironically, in addtion to continued billing and threats to turn the account over to collections, I have received a "Sorry to see you go, how can we get you back" marketing piece from them.

Anybody that thinks their carrier is better than another, just hasn't had to interface with them.
I don't love my former carrier. I switched from Sprint to ATT on June 12. My Samsung broke and I couldn't wait until June 29 (I upgraded to an iPhone on that date). In a telephone conversation with the Sprint agent I asked for, received and paid my outstanding balance and contract cancellation fee. I also asked that my telephone number be transported to ATT.

Ever since I have been battling Sprint, as their system does not show me cancelling the contract, and they continue to bill me. They can't explain how the Sprint supplied telephone number was transported to ATT without the contract cancellation fee (for which I have a charge on my credit card statement).

My account has been turned over to a collections agency. Ironically, in addtion to continued billing and threats to turn the account over to collections, I have received a "Sorry to see you go, how can we get you back" marketing piece from them.

Anybody that thinks their carrier is better than another, just hasn't had to interface with them.

That's an hysterical (in a bitterly humorous way) story. You should write this up and submit it to a large-circulation newspaper (is that a contradiction?) or news magazine. That'd get AT&T's attention!