Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
24.95/mo for an extra PC!!! With Road Runner, once you
get the extra card and connect via a hub, aditional PCs
are no extra charge ($40/mo inclusive). Is this true
with TCI hookups?

What's the big deal? Run the cable interface into a hub. Put an ethernet card in each computer and connect them to the hub. Hub will cost $40 to $Many depending on how many ports and the speed of the hub. Cables run $5 - $50 depending on length. Ethernet cards for each box will run $20 - $100 (I strongly recommend going toward the high end here). Nwtworking is built into windows and mac - no real trouble there.

Not having @Home service available yet, I don't know now it will handle two pc's doing requests for IP addresses but there is a workaround if they won't called NAT (Network Address Translation).
It requires two ethernet cards in one of your pc's - one connected to internal network and one connected to your router. You run a proxy/firewall on the primary PC (try http://www.coretech.com.au/wingate/ for one product, although being a Linux geek, I would use that instead).
It makes everything coming out of your other PC's look like they are coming from the one connected to your router.
Requires a little technical acumen, but not too bad.
If you can handle installing extra network cards you can handle this.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.