Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://archive.mail-list.com/naomiragen/msg01483.html

interesting. she repeats the phrase 'Children of Abraham' several times in the song. she doesn't say Children of Moses or Children of Mohammed. Leaving it slightly ambigous like that allows it to be a broader statement.

so, that's one piece of exeggis in support of it referring to Jews and Arabs.

one other bit of lyric from the song:

Every man is his own prophet
Oh every prophet just a man
I say all the women stand up, say yes to themselves
Teach your children best you can

this lyric appears to me to be meant for Muslims. Interpreting poetry and lyrics is tricky, but the first two lines seem to imply that Mohammed was just a man, even if he was a prophet for all prophets are men, and similarly, all men have the potential of prophecy within them, and that implies that you should think for yourself and not blindly follow. find the prophet in yourself and remember that Mohammed was a human, not a God.

then it goes to address Muslim women, and perhaps by saying teach them the best you can she is asking Muslim women not to teach their children anger or hatred. That is not the best that can be taught.

And there are passages in the lyric that seem to be meant for Israeli ears.

So, I think it is aimed at both Arabs and Jews.

Dov
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.