No. of Recommendations: 1
2gifts writes,

Note that I'm single, so I can't hold property jointly. The only way I can pass real estate to an heir without probate is through a trust.

That is not true. You do not have to be married to hold property jointly. You can put anyone else on the title to your property that you want, but it is not without ramifications including that you just made a gift to that person, that property is now part of that person's assets and could be taken in a lawsuit, etc.,


Exactly! That's why the property is in a trust.

I guess you could say I was imprecise in my language. Instead of writing "I'm single, so I can't hold property jointly", I should have written, "I'm single, it would be foolish to hold the property jointly."

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.