No. of Recommendations: 1
Chris Hedges "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over & The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zotYU21qcU&feature=relat...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
You can also pick this up on C-Span's In Depth. The Hedges interview is very interesting and highly recommended. He's not a knee jerk liberal (not that there's anything wrong with that) and some of his views are surprising, but always interesting. Hedges is the author of War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning and every once in a while you'll find it cited on RECF by someone who hasn't read it but thinks it's "pro-war," based on the title. LOL.

Remember about 10 years ago he spoke to a graduating class and was roundly and soundly boo-ed? He accepted the invitation because this school (sorry, name escapes me) had given a degree (honorary, I think) to Jane Addams of Hull House fame, whom Hedges admires.
http://www.uic.edu/jaddams/hull/

He didn't know, however, that the school had withdrawn the degree because in the intervening years Addams efforts to help poor people had become politically incorrect in the eyes of the school's Board.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I only made it to about 40 minutes into the program.

I found it intriguing, disturbing and there was much on which I could agree with Hedges.

I also started to get the idea that Hedges is pompous and self righteous. He seems to see the problem with US society but spent 20 years living outside of it. He finds much that is wrong, but from what I watched, has no answers and says "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over & The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying". BTW if you didn't watch the video, he lam blasts liberals and conservatives.

Perhaps his answer is later in the program. I hope so. But I just couldn't take any more of his sanctimonious observations.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also started to get the idea that Hedges is pompous and self righteous.

Absolutely!

Perhaps his answer is later in the program.

I don't think he has any answers. Perhaps he thinks he has but I'm always suspicious of people who think they have answers.