Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
3. There were a few cosmetic defects, is it reasonable for me to ask them to fix them before I come back for a test drive?

For a test drive, no. That is not reasonable.

But it is very reasonable to have them fixed as a condition of your purchasing the vehicle. The alternative would be to offer a lower price for the car. It's also reasonable to ask if the items are something the dealer will consider fixing as a part of the deal.

If these are important items to you, I would not buy the car without the items being fixed. Lots of times the dealer will ask you to buy the car and give you an IOU for the repair items. The problem is that you have no idea what the quality of the repair will be. That's not too much of a concern over supplying missing items (like your cigarette lighter), but it's more of a concern over things like paint scratches or mechanical repairs. Sometimes you won't know if a paint scratch will buff out or require repainting the whole panel until you try the buffing.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.