Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
https://custerresorts.com/activities/scenic-drives/

If you are in the area, taking the scenic drive may be worthwhile. However, I have my doubts about how much fun it would be in an RV. Also, the Spearfish Canyon is a nice little secret just north of Rapid City and close to Sturgis. Be sure and check Sturgis dates for the Mt. Rushmore part of the trip. The place will be crawling with motorcycles.

If you can get a space, go ahead and stay in the Grand Teton National park. I actually think this is a prettier park than Yellowstone and Jackson Hole is a rich kids place.

We took a raft trip in the Grand Teton park, it was a gentle float trip, then we went up and stayed in some cabins in Gardiner, (north gate) the raft ride there was anything but gentle.

I suspect you are leaving Yellowstone by the East Gate to avoid the Beartooth Highway. However I found the plains with the herds of Buffalo on them quite interesting, and the large log cabin in Silver Gate with the rooms set up like a brothel to be fun too.

If you can get a space, go ahead and stay in the Grand Teton National park. I actually think this is a prettier park than Yellowstone and Jackson Hole is a rich kids place.

But I am guessing Beartooth Highway may be a challenge for an RV, but I don't know I went over it in a car.

I don't know where you are coming from, but I made a similar loop out of Texas in 2010 or 2011. We left Mt. Rushmore and dropped south and crossed Nebraska then Kansas and back to Texas. We were tired vacationing and did that last leg none stop swapping drivers, so we missed some things.

If you go back across Nebraska there is a very very large train depot there. I still hope to see it one day. If you cross South Dakota, there is an Airbase with a museum just east of Rapid City and then there is a state park with a view on the east side of the Missouri River.

Also, in Iowa on high 29 in Onawa there is a state park on a little Ox bow lake off of the Missouri river that has replicas of the boats that Lewis and Clark used, it is worth a stop and a picnic.

Also, in Sioux Falls, they have really done a nice job with Falls Park. It is downtown, and the downtown isn't shabby either.

IF you find yourself in Kansas City, and you are crazy about Lewis and Clark, there is a park, hidden in an industrial area, at Kaw Point. It is where Lewis and Clark camped. The park is decent, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless I was both very interested in Lewis and Clark and was going to be in the area anyway.

Also, if you find yourself in Kansas City, there is a steamboat museum, it is worth seeing, but again, only if find yourself in Kansas City with time to burn.

Cheers
Qazulight
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.