No. of Recommendations: 2
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q=g%C3%A9rard+mourou&...

I did a slight amount of research since I guessed that a number of Nobel winners would have wound up being born elsewhere but have moved to the USA. That turned out to be false ---none of those listed on the website above fell into that category (I excluded the Peace Prize recipients, since that's sheer politics).

Of the ten winners, six were born and practice their professions in the United States.

No other country has more than one person represented:

France, Canada, Britain, Japan.

Sixty percent is an amazing number.

Of course, a hundred years ago the United States was an also run power in science. Leadership in science seems to be concentrated in a few countries at any time, and to rotate between countries over time.

How long will leadership by American scientists last, and where will it go when the United States loses it's preeminence?

Britain and France are a part of that leadership today, and they would have dominated scientific awards from what----- the 1600s to 1900 or so? And still they are making solid contributions. That's an amazing record to maintain over such a long period of time!

If we were to look at persistent contributions to science in history, France and Britain would probably be duking it out for first place ----along with Greece, perhaps ----ancient Greece.

China (ancient)? I don't know. Did they really DO science? They certainly developed a lot of technology.

The United States still has a long way to go to be more than a flash in the pan ----although that's QUITE a flash!

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.