Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-another-great-...

Another great African American migration has been going on for years. Out of northern, midwestern and western big cities and into -----the suburbs and back to the south.

That's right ----it's "black flight" to the suburbs and south!

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
The joy of retirement is that you can do as you please.
If you find the change is not working out - change the change.

Howie52

"Where-ever you go, there you are."
No. of Recommendations: 1
We are thinking of moving to a retirement community.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Circumstances vary widely making a one size fits all recommendation difficult.

Friends and family are likely to be very much a part of your retirement. Where do they live? What do they recommend? What do they plan to do?

Downsizing to a smaller home is often good, but its likely to be expensive. Try to make a good choice on where you move to. Retirement community can be a good choice.

If you live in a high tax state, relocation to a medium or low tax state can be very attractive. This is an easier choice is you have friends or family in the new location.
We've been very happy with our move to a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) and a new area for us. Not a single regret so far. We are 45 minutes away from children and grandchildren. While you are thinking about it, just vista a few retirement places and stay overnight ...it might help you think about moving or not moving...
You've already expressed bias against the move as 3 of 4 polling choices are "stay put". Still I agree.

Besides, you can rent out the excess space for income.

🆁🅶🅱
I'd say it depends on how much you love where you are! All other things equal, why move?

Do you like your current neighbors and friends? Are you restless for a new place?

As I've said, we LOVE where we are and plan to stay here until we're both deceased! Matter of choice, I think, and YOUR choice -- not anyone else's.

Good luck and happy holidays!

Vermonter
Howie52:

I think you're right on. But ONE of them wants a change, so...

They need to talk about all the angles.

Vermonter
But 'one' of us is ready to trade down, to a 'retirement environment'.

But it sounds as if "one" of us wants to stay so is is something that needs to be worked out.
My suggestion would be to stay and reevaluate in a couple of years.
A long time ago (1971-1973) I was a meat cutter in Vero Beach, Florida. Old ladies would ring the buzzer on the counter to get help with their meat and at the same time tell me their life story. Most of those stories were about how their husbands had dragged them to Florida after they retired, sold their homes, and moved to Florida. Then a few years later their husbands died and now they were stuck in Florida and couldn't afford to move back to Ohio, Michigan, New York, etc. where their were originally from.

Vero Beach, Florida is a small lovely retirement/resort community on the eastern shore of Florida but it can also be a very lonely place to live. These women had sold their homes up North and left their friends and families and moved to Florida and for some of them it was a quite lonely existence.

Art
Howie52 says, "The joy of retirement is that you can do as you please. If you find the change is not working out - change the change. Where-ever you go, there you are."

If you got the money and support and strength and health to make the change. If you hurt all the time (arthritis) and have limited finances and no one to help you make the change back to where your friends and family are it isn't so easy... especially the money part.

Art
"As I've said, we LOVE where we are and plan to stay here until we're both deceased!" - vermonter

I married a Tennessee girl and one thing I've learned in my 36 years living in this state... people from Tennessee love Tennessee. We now live close to my wife's family and she is very happy. Tomorrow my wife is going to lunch with three of her friends from college who all also live close to us.

It makes my wife happy to live here and since I love her her happiness is important to me. I think my wife's plan is to work as long as she is able and as long as her mother is healthy enough to live independently without my wife's help. So, I suspicion that we too will also "stay here until we're both deceased." Or as long as we are able to care for ourselves and one another.

Art
<<If you got the money and support and strength and health to make the change. If you hurt all the time (arthritis) and have limited finances and no one to help you make the change back to where your friends and family are it isn't so easy... especially the money part.

Art>>

Well, money can certainly be an issue.

But I'd guess a bigger barrier is that people get surrounded by the junk they've accumulated and can't figure out how to move it or get rid of it.

The answer to that is really to hire a big dumpster, put all the junk in it and then move where you want to go with one suitcase. I'm sure people will find plenty of junk wherever they might choose to move.

And I say this surrounded by junk myself, but at age 69 I have no immediate desire to move.

In a few more years I may resort to the dumpster, though.

Seattle Pioneer
<<I married a Tennessee girl and one thing I've learned in my 36 years living in this state... people from Tennessee love Tennessee.>>

I have a sister in law who is from Kentucky. She's a highly educated liberal academic retired professor, but she just LOVES the Kentucky Wildcats! I always find that amusing.

She was dragged from Maryland down to Florida by my brother, and she'd probably be happier in Kentuck ----she definitely got tired of hurricanes a few years ago, and she doesn't care for the heat.

However, my brother is a retired sales manager and he can usually talk most people into doing whatever he wants! Usually he avoids doing that, though.

Seattle Pioneer
"it isn't so easy... especially the money part.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have not heard too many folks saying they want to move back to California
or New York.

Moving back to the Midwest sometimes - though not to Illinois as much.

But New England - quite frequently I run across people wanting to head back
to the northeast.

Howie52
<<I have not heard too many folks saying they want to move back to California
or New York.>>

Thwere has been a "new migration" of African Americans from California to the South in recent decades. Not necessarily among the retired, though. Younger middle class folks moving out of California like their white peers.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 9
I am staying on my 5 acre/two story home. At 83 I have no wish to move away from NE Ohio (weather wise one of the safer areas.). My two daughters live 20 minutes away. Medical care in the Cleveland area is one of the best you can get.

I hope I never need to go to a nursing home and if need be I still have some money left (after the market tank)to afford a home nurse.

I am sure I am past the point of moving myself to another place....moving is hell.

Birgit
Howie52:

"I have not heard too many folks saying they want to move back to California
or New York. Moving back to the Midwest sometimes - though not to Illinois as much. But New England - quite frequently I run across people wanting to head back
to the northeast."

Yup.

Weatherwise, we love it here. Sure, it can be cold and snowy at times -- or even, as today, icy -- but we'll take that over flooding (we're on a high ridge, so will never happen here), tornadoes (all but nonexistent hereabouts), extreme dryness or heat, and, above all, less NOISE. How we love the peace and quiet here!

No place is perfect, but if you enjoy country living, as we do, we think we're in the right spot!

Vermonter
No place is perfect, but if you enjoy country living, as we do, we think we're in the right spot!

Vermonter

Some people like brown shoes, some like black.

CNC
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-another-great-...

Another great African American migration has been going on for years. Out of northern, midwestern and western big cities and into -----the suburbs and back to the south.

That's right ----it's "black flight" to the suburbs and south!

Seattle Pioneer