Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
'How it took me 5,126 failures before I created the ultimate vacuum cleaner': Inventor JAMES DYSON insists it wasn't genius but sheer bloody-mindedness backed by the love and faith of his wife

Day after day I had crossed the yard at my home to a small workshop to continue my quest to develop a cyclonic system for separating dust without the need for an easily clogged vacuum-cleaner bag.

I was usually covered in dust, getting deeper and deeper into debt, yet I was happy and absorbed. And the failures began to excite me.

'Wait a minute, that should have worked. Now why didn't it?' I would scratch my head, mystified, then have another idea for an experiment that might lead to solving the problem.

When you've set yourself an objective that might pioneer a better solution to existing technologies and products, you become engaged, hooked, even one-track-minded.

I am also someone who is prepared to slog through prototype after prototype, searching for the breakthrough. If a slow starter like me can succeed, surely this might encourage others.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9893991/How-took-5-...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.