Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards. We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Monday, September 26th 8AM EST: The migration is taking longer than expected, we need a few more hours to bring the site back online.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Washington man shoots dead one burglar and injures another after they burst into his home at 4.30am

Jerahme Smith, 31, claimed he was at home with his sister when the two potential robbers kicked in his back door at around 4:20am

He noted that one of them had a weapon, which i what made Smith open fire against them to defend he and his sister

'When everything first started, the first thing I had to do was take a few breaths and calm myself because I knew it could have gone one of two ways,' he said

Local police said they got a call from a homeowner for a home invasion at around 4:30am. The homeowner, presumably Smith, said he shot at the intruders

Smith, who has lived in the home in Spanaway with his wife and three kids for three years, maintained that he acted in self-defense

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10298109/Washington...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Was it a SMITH and Wesson that he used?

Hopefully it all goes well and we don't get crap like:
Maybe they were confused about what house they were are, they thought it was there home because they were on drugs and could not make sound decisions for themselves. They thought their foot that kicked down the door was their key. ugh
No. of Recommendations: 0
Where in God's name do these people live? As I have said before, I have literally lived in the same town and neighborhood for over 50 years. Never once in my memory, since I was a kid, has anyone ever tried to kick in someone's door anywhere around here.
Where in God's name do these people live?

Spanaway, about 45 miles south of Seattle Washington if you had read the article.

As I have said before, I have literally lived in the same town and neighborhood for over 50 years. Never once in my memory, since I was a kid, has anyone ever tried to kick in someone's door anywhere around here.

Maybe you have been lucky or maybe your memory isn’t too good. We have lived in a subdivision about 4 miles east of the village in an area with a number of horse farms between us and the village for the last 32 years. Since we have been here, someone robbed JR’s gas station/store, stole the safe and killed the clerk about 25 years ago. That case has never been solved.

6 or 5 years ago, I noticed a police helicopter circling around our neighborhood and a number of sheriff’s cars on our street. There was one parked in our driveway so I went up to it and asked what was going on. It seems that someone broke into the house of the farm to the west of us. He was chased off by the owner and the cops were looking for him. Since the house is about a mile from the main road and only one way out, the perp wasn’t too smart, IMHO. I don’t know if they nabbed that turkey.

3 or 2 years ago, an illegal alien broke into a house in a subdivision on the other side of the village while the owners were out. They noticed the damage to the door, called 911 and the sheriff arrested him. There probably is lots of stuff going on around your town that isn’t reported to the news unless someone is seriously killed. I picked up some of it from Scott at the Village Barber Shop when he cuts my hair and from Larry, our neighbor across the road when he was a reserve sheriff’s deputy. I’m not paranoid but I got a .380 next to my Lazy-boy, a S&W 629 on the stairs going up to “the gun room” and a 12-gauge pump gun in the bedroom closet next to the safe with rubber buck in the chamber and #1 buck in the magazine.
;-)

C.J.V. - only had to use the shotgun once a few years ago on a pesty coon, me
Where in God's name do these people live?

Not everyone has great neighbors. I think this is one of the reasons people do not understand each other across the USA, geography makes a big difference in how you live.
Not everyone has great neighbors. I think this is one of the reasons people do not understand each other across the USA, geography makes a big difference in how you live. - canonian

----------------------

huh, you mean not everybody can bike or take an Uber whenever they need to go someplace? Sounds primitive.

huh, you mean not everybody can bike or take an Uber whenever they need to go someplace? Sounds primitive.

I have no idea what you mean by that?
>>huh, you mean not everybody can bike or take an Uber whenever they need to go someplace? Sounds primitive.<<

I have no idea what you mean by that? - canonian

---------------

An attempt at humor that obviously didn't land. I was mocking the coastal elites who seem to think that everybody lives like they do, no need for fossil fuels - biking to work, etc
An attempt at humor that obviously didn't land. I was mocking the coastal elites who seem to think that everybody lives like they do, no need for fossil fuels - biking to work, etc

That thought had occurred to me but was not sure.

I don't think people realize how others live, what they do, their lives are completely different in so many ways.
"I was mocking the coastal elites who seem to think that everybody lives like they do, no need for fossil fuels - biking to work, etc"

But seriously - it isn't a coastal elite thing. I read these stories of people living in isolated areas miles from civilization, and having rifles and guns in every room because of the risk of strong-arm robberies, someone kicking down there door, etc. Help me understand why someone would choose to live in a high-risk environment like that.

A previous poster joked that I don't have a good memory but I am serious. In 50 years, the biggest crime in this neighborhood was when someone stole the battery out of my Mom's '73 Plymouth Scamp (great slant-6 engine in that thing). If one lives in so much fear 24/7, that they have a need to be armed like the 82ns Aitborne, what's the point?
Hi InconclusiveFool,

"But seriously - it isn't a coastal elite thing. I read these stories of people living in isolated areas miles from civilization, and having rifles and guns in every room because of the risk of strong-arm robberies, someone kicking down there door, etc."

Isolated like the people in Beverly Hills? Just ask Jacqueline Avant ...

I'm not going any farther but the list is long.

We were 25 miles from "civilization", a small city. The place we are building now is 30 from an even smaller city.

General photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3NC9sbPMxjzUZBc76

Construction:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YdH6e5w4rwz5rknG9

We have been living in that small city, in a nice neighborhood, for 6 months and had one stranger walk in the front door about 5 minutes after leaving to shop!

" I read these stories of people living in isolated areas miles from civilization, and having rifles and guns in every room because of the risk of strong-arm robberies, someone kicking down there door, etc."

I don't know where those places are but I have never lived in one.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
That is indeed a beautiful piece of property. I'd be interested to see the final completed photos. But is there a 7-11 or WaWa within a mile or so, where I can get a quick cup of coffee? That's my barometer regarding where I want to live.

Other questions out of curiosity:

- Are the utilities (water, gas, sewer, electric) already installed at the street, or do you have to bring those in yourself as part of the construction?

- How close are the hospitals, doctors and retail stores?

- Are there any deed restrictions regaring what you can and cannot do on the property?
I won’t start a new thread because the following can fit into either two of the last topics;

Record number of Blacks buy firearms, boost overall gun sales during COVID-19 pandemic

By Jeff Mordock - The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Firearm purchases by a record number of Black Americans have accelerated a surge in gun sales since the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an analysis of government records.

The year 2021 is on track to be the second biggest on record for firearms sales, with more than 18 million guns purchased through November, consulting group Small Arms Analytics & Forecasting concluded. That would outpace every year except 2020, when 22.8 million guns . . .

See https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jan/4/black-gun-ow... for article.
;-)

C.J.V. - happy King’s Day, y’all
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi InconclusiveFool,

No convenience store for 15 miles. Just don't care about that.

Electric came in about 1,900 feet from the source across the road. I paid for everything beyond 1,320 about $3,500.

For water we buried 1,700 feet of line to the road and the water utility will bury 200-some feet across the road, bore the road, then connect to my line and place the meter on our side. I paid for the entire thing, about $14,000.

Fibre phone/TV/internet is at the road on our side. They will bury fibre to the house some time this month depending on weather/ground conditions. The utility pays for it. Cost is around $1,000

I will put in a septic system.

Salina is 30 miles east by road. It has most medical trades. Trauma centers are Topeka and Wichita. We have lifetime helo/ground ambulance service.

The only restriction I have is about 87 acres of CRP on the north and east beyond the fence. I am limited what I can do there and there are some required maintenance items. The previous owners signed the contract and I inherited it.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Good that those utilities were at the road. Beautiful for sure, and I wish you the best of luck. Just a bit too isolating for me. Here in NJ were I grew up and live, everything is close, with in a mile or 2 radius. Driving 30 miles to the doctor is just not for me.