Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
4) Monopoly Status: So important score wise... Who to compare it too. On one hand many companies make drugs but nobody else is making bone marrow stimulants (OK Johnson and Johnson markets Epogen as Procrit and some other companies are working on growth factors for other cell lines as well. Since the Biogen discussion in the RB port got me started on this I decided to compare Amgen to Biogen. Is this fair. They are the two oldest biotech companies, but they have no directly competing products. I'm open to suggestions on a better company to use. (BTW Biogen beats Amgen on Cash to debt and net margins but loses on gross margins and flowie) Score=14/20

MarkV,

Nice bit of research you have done on AMGN. I appreciate your hard work and contribution to this board.

I do have one small suggestion regarding the Monopoly Analysis calculations. Often times, a company doesn't seem to have a direct competitor, but rather several "indirect" competitors ... meaning that they only compete against a small portion of their product lines. This happens most often with large conglomerates. For example, Gilette's main competition comes from the Schick brand, which is made by Warner Lambert. Would it be fair, or more to the point, accurate to use WLA as Gilette's competitor? Maybe, maybe not.

In any event, you might want to run the Monopoly Analysis calculations against each of these "indirect" competitors and then average the results. I have seen many people do this when analyzing drug companies because their isn't one dominating force, but rather several (JNJ, PFE, SGP, WLA, MRK, etc).

My bet is that AMGN will still have a score in the 50 range, which would make it a strong contender for Rule Maker status. Again, nice work and Fool On!

the LanceMan

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.