Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
4% of our current portfolio is more than our current annual expenses (even before we stopped doing much because of the pandemic).

I know there's a lot of debate about the 4% number, which is why I prefer FIRECALC. I think it's a bit more thorough because it takes into account some factors that would be specific to the individual.

Also, TMF published an article within the past two or three years that said you shouldn't "rebalance" your portfolio just because of your age or status. Stick with what works for you. I tend to agree. I don't know bonds, and haven't owned a bond fund in 30 years. I might move out of some riskier stocks I have if I feel I don't have time to monitor them properly, but otherwise I have no plans to change my approach. It's worked for me for the past 25+ years (when I mostly moved out of MFs and into actual stocks).

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.