No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a question.

Dh just found out he's been offered a job for which he interviewed. Nice pay increase! :)

My question is, where to roll over the existing 401k. He has about $30k in it, so no minimum balance issues, I believe. Right now, it's split among what I thought was large cap index (Dodge & Cox), which appears to be more of a full stock market fund, a Fidelity International fund, and a mid-cap fund.

When I rebalanced our accounts, my intention was to get things to 30/30/30% Large, Mid, and Small, with 10% of mine in a REIT fund.

Per Financial Engines, which my employer gives us access to for free, our total account balance is weighted 50% in small caps! With 10% bond exposure thrown in - I'm guessing, again, this is due to the Dodge & Cox fund.

Anyway, I'd like to get some more reasonable balance here.

Would Fools suggest a straight rollover IRA to Vanguard S&P for the lot of it to regain more large cap exposure? (I'm afraid the Total Market will leave us where we are now.) Or, should we go with Scottrade in case we want to do some individual stock purchases down the line? I believe the Vanguard S&P is still one of the funds with no transaction costs.

Also, we're ineligible for tax deductible IRAs but can still do the ROTHs. Maybe we should just roll this 401k to Vanguard directly and do the ROTHs at Scottrade...

Any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks
3MM
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.