Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm researching converting my after-tax 401-k contributions to a Roth 401-k. (Would have done it previously, had I known, but just saw this video: .)

This is the only post I've seen on this subject: .

This IRS gov site seems to indicate its a thing:

I believe gains from converted contributions will need to be converted as well (#3 from Rollover Chart - Must include income)?

Any thoughts?

On a side note, I'm not sure why this info is not more widely distributed. When searching for contribution limits, one typically finds the pre-tax limits (19,500/26,000), rather than the full employer and employee limit of 58,000/64,500. With this strategy, I don't see a difference.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.