Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Everyone,
I am going on my 4 month with my employer which consequently means I can start contributing to my 401k. I asked my boss, who has a lot of experience with 401ks (He is a retirement consultant) for some tips on how I should allocate my contributions and he quickly (in about 2 minutes) chose the following funds:

American Funds Euro Pacific Growth 8%
Lazard International Equity Portfolio 8%
ING Index Plus Mid Cap Fund 6%
ING Small Company Fund 6%
Franklin Balance Sheet Investment Fund 6%
Franklin Small Mid Cap Growth 6%
MFS Mass Investors Growth 20%
ING Index Plus Large Cap Fund 10%
Oppenheimer Main Street Growth & Income Fund 10%
American Funds Washington Mutual Investors 20%

I don't wish for anyone to analyze or check up on each of these funds, but would just like some input on whether I should be so diversified. I am only contributing about $180 per month which will equal out to about $250 with the match. I am pondering on investing in just one or two index funds for now as opposed to all 10 he has suggested. I am only 23 and don't ever forsee myself using this money until retirement, and therefore don't mind taking on greater risk. There are also about 10 other funds to choose from, almost all of which are bond funds. I would greatly appreciate and suggestions or advice.

Thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.