Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This year, I maxed out my 401K contribution by early Sept. ($10 500), but found out by accident that my employers payroll company has continued pulling additional contributions from my paycheque.

I stopped the contributions, but now I'm about $1000 over (as of Oct 29).

Can I apply this extra $$ towards last year, when my 401K contribution was dramatically under the maximum? In other words, am I allowed to 'catch-up' for past years, when I didn't max out the 401K?

If not, what would be the best use of this additional contribution, since it may have to be taxed at normal rates?


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.