Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My primary investment vehicle is through my employer's 401(k) plan. I know that I can take a qualified distribution of my 401(k) if I change employers (among other reasons). What I don't understand is, why can't I do so without changing employers?

I want to expand my investment opportunities beyond what's offered in my retirement plan. Is there any way to rollover my 401(k) (or a portion there of) without quitting my job?

Alternatively....I guess I could defer a percentage of my future 401(k) contributions to a RothIRA?
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.