Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are getting divorced. His 401(k) will be split between them, according to the settlement.

They were under the impression that she could get some of the money out of the plan, penalty-free (though paying the taxes on it). Then, someone told them that wasn't possible and they've asked me if i knew of any way to make it happen.

I've asked a few seasoned tax pros about it - because i couldn't come up with anything that would satisfy my ILs immediately* - and they all agreed with whatever someone told BIL and SIL in the first place: No dice.

So, as i complete my research for them, i thought i'd check with the gurus here to see if you all have anything to add. TIA.

* My only thought was a 401(k) --> Traditional IRA rollover --> Roth conversion --> wait five years to withdraw money penalty-free.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.