Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am considering taking a 401K load. Only pretax money has been contributed by myself and my employer. My employer offers a 401K ROTH option also - which I have not contributed to. I only put dollars into the pre-tax part of the 401K plan.

I asked the following question of my company's 401K manager regarding a loan I am considering:

Q: "Since my loan will be paid back with POST tax dollars, do the loan repayment dollars get put into a Roth 401K (i.e.POST tax) or mixed in with pretax dollar monies ?

When I begin making withdraws from my 401K at retirement, are the monies used to repay the load treated differently from the withdrawal monies that were pretax contributions ?"

The response was:

A: "The repayments go back in the same way that they came out. For example, you take the loan and it comes out pro-rated from multiple pre-tax sources, like Employee Pretax, Employer Contribution, etc."

That tells me since I only have pretax $ in my 401K, the post tax dollars I use to pay off the loan will be taxed again when I retire and take the $ out.

This does not sound right - or I am misunderstanding this completely.

Anyone have / ask the same question ?

Thanks.

math999man

**** think I found the answer - here it is - for others who are interested -

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/faq/faq_29.html#.VSM04fnF_h4
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.