Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all -

I'm looking at buying a home in Feb/March of next year. I've got a question concerning my 401K and the distribution of money from there for a down payment.

Maybe someone here can run the numbers and tell me if what I'm thinking of doing would be a good idea.

I put in 6% of m annual salary and my company matches 100% of that 6%. I'm also currently 40% vested. I plan on taking an exempt distribution next year to use as a down payment on a home. Would it be to my advantage to continue putting the 6% in with the 6% match even if the market took a 25% drop between now and then? I don't expect year end numbers to look hot for the economy so I'm guessing the market would take dive just before I took my distribution.

These are the numbers I came up with.

Salary: 61K
bi-weekly contribution: 140.77
company match: 140.77
total contribution: 281.54
Vested value of cont.: (140.77*1)+(140.77*.4) = 197.08

The 6% contribution costs me roughly $100 off the bottom line of my paycheck so I'd see almost a 100% with that contribution (ceterus paribus). Is this making sense?

I could instead cancel contributions to my 401K, take that concrete, unchanging $100 and put it in a savings account where I know 100% of it would be there when the time came. I also lose the tax benefit of the 401K contribution which is sure to cost me at the end of the year.

Any ideas? I get the feeling that the 6% contribution would be Foolish, while cancelling it would be....foolish.

Thanks for -any- information you can provide that will shed light on this.

-Al
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.