Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
ok guys i just got laid off in June i have received a severance package and they killed me in taxes. what i would like to do is roll my 401k into an IRA,( for the tax break) and right now i'm in the second phase of interviewing for a federal job. the federal job is a lot less money, so what im thinking is 401k to an Ira than if i get the federal job roll into the a tsp take a lone out to pay off all bills except my house. the tsp loan is 2.5 %.

my thinking is 1 i'll be debt free minus house. 2 get a ira deduction. 3 a low interest and wouldn't have to pay the 10% tax penalty. my concerns are the time frame. 401k to ira does it have to stay there a certain amount of time? when i start my new job how long before tsp would start can i take a loan out right away?

yes i might take the job in Saudi Arbia but i want that to be my last resort. Thanks in advance.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.