Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question, any help will be appreciated.
I know that the tax code under 72(t)2(A)V - "Distributions made to an employee who has attained age 55 and separated from service", allows withdrawals from 401(k) at any time, in any amount without a 10% penalty provided one is 55 or older and separated from service with the company.

If I start to take distributions, am I still elegible to roll some or part of the balance into an IRA?

Can I first roll part of the 401(k)into an IRA and then take distributions on the balance at any time in any amount without a penalty?

Is there a timing issue?

Does a Rollover have to be a lump sum - that is the whole amount in the 401(k)

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.