Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a recent merger survivor with money in a soon to be terminated 401(k)Plan. The new and "improved" 401(k)plan investment selections are more new than improved so rolling it in there wouldn't be very foolish. My initial plan is to roll it into an IRA with my on-line broker and 2-2-3-4-5, presto, I'm a Fool!(foolish four)End of story, right? Well, the account is relatively small, 15k, and I'm relatively young, so howz about setting up a roth account with the online service, rolling half into the account before December 31st, roll the other half in there after December 31st and line up the foolish four immediately. I'd spread the taxes over two tax seasons, but get the money into a foolish four roth with no future tax consequences. Of course, all future contributions to Mr. Roth wouldn't be tax deductible, but so what, right? Pay taxes now or pay taxes later?!?! What'da ya think? What am I missing here?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.