Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I received the following response to a question to my 401K provider. The question was, "Will IRS permit me to roll-over my 401K RMD into my ROTH IRA?"

"I am pleased to confirm that you are allowed to direct your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) to a Roth IRA if you have earned income in the year of the rollover. Since the RMD will be taken out and taxed, the monies arriving in the Roth IRA will be treated as a contribution. In order to make a contribution to a Roth IRA, you must have earned income. Also, it is important to keep in mind that your RMD must be within the Roth IRA contribution limits. "

Any opinions?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.