Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
About a week ago I received a disbursement from a 401k that was with my former employer. The net amount was 20% less than the gross amount. My former employer said that I could get the money at tax time but failed to give me any specifics.

- Can I get the 20% back?
- Can I put this money into another retirement account(current companies 401k or IRA)?
- If I can get the 20% back, what is the process?

Any help would be appreciated!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.