Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was reading information in the TMF Retirement section and in an area discussing lump sum withdrawals from a defined contribution plan it states:

-- You may transfer the money directly to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to continue the tax deferral until you begin withdrawals. (Warning! The note that follows may confuse you if you don't read it twice: Any after-tax employee contributions you made to a 401(k) or other defined contribution plan are not taxable and may not be transferred to an IRA. Such monies will normally be provided to you in a separate check, which you may cash and use as desired.)

Isn't that last part no longer true? Can't after tax money go into a rollover IRA and then withdrawals are considered partly taxable and partly non taxable?

Bob (Who is confused and approaching retirement)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.