Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
What is the best way to rollover a 401k from a previous employer so that I may invest in both mutual funds and individual stocks? Should/could I:
rollover the full amount into a money market fund, ie. Vanguard Prime Portfolio. Then, transfer within Vanguard into other funds I choose; then, write a check from PP to open an IRA account at, say, Ameritrade; then, with those funds, I may buy and sell individual stocks.

Or, do I need to allocate a percentage of the rollover to Vanguard and a percentage to Ameritrade (to equal 100%) right off the bat?

I guess another way to ask is if I rollover into a money market fund that is an IRA, am I free to allocate where I please?

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.