Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Last year, I rolled over two 401K accounts into IRA's. The money was transferred directly from one bank to the other. No taxes were withheld, the entire amount was transferred to the new IRA.

I just received two 1099-R forms. Both of them have the amount that I transferred, and then list "Taxable Amount: $0.00", as they should.

Do I need to include this information on my tax return? I've actually already filed and mailed in my taxes (I file a 1040EZ, so it takes me about 5 minutes to do my taxes). But I could file an amended return if I had to.

I know these rollovers won't affect my tax situation, since it's not taxable, but I wasn't sure if I needed to report this non-taxable distribution to the IRS. (The 1099-R says, in bold print, "REPORT THIS INCOME ON YOUR FEDERAL TAX RETURN")

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.