Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I ws just thinking about something that I wanted to post to get some input. I can remember on my first job, while being very Foolish, I was invested in my company's 401K program.

To make a long story short. I swear that we were able to contribute up to 16% of our income, not to exceed $10,000. I also remember that we could make taxable contributions in addition to the non-taxable ones. Even if we were not at the $10,000 limit. Does this make any sense?

Again, I was most uninformed financially at the time, and really don't remeber a lot of the details now. Anyone with some thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Actually, "taxable" and "non-taxable" are not quite correct. Rather, I think you mean "pre-tax contributions" and "post-tax contributions" also known as "elective deferrals" and "elective contributions" respectively.

In any event, yes, some plans still permit the contribution of both pre-tax (the usual) and post-tax contributions in a 401(k) plan. However, the post-tax contributions have fallen out of favor for two reasons:

1. The ADP/ACP tests are much harder to pass when allowing these post-tax contributions.

2. The advent of the ROTH IRA virtually supplants the need/want/desire to do post-tax contributions for almost all people.

Now, when you eventually cash-out your old 401(k) assets, the entire account balance minus the post-tax contributions is "rollable" into a Rollover IRA or potentially a new 401(k) plan at a new employer. The post-tax contributions themselves are not rollable and are returned to you in cash as a non-taxable transaction.

TheBadger
Thank you for that response. I thought I was going crazy.

Now, when you eventually cash-out your old 401(k) assets, the entire account balance minus the post-tax contributions is "rollable" into a Rollover IRA or potentially a new 401(k) plan at a new employer. The post-tax contributions themselves are not rollable and are returned to you in cash as a non-taxable transaction.
TheBadger

BADGER, does this mean that the interest earned on the post-tax contributions does not have to be distributed to me but rather it can be rolled over into the new tax deffered accounted??

TheBadger

BADGER, does this mean that the interest earned on the post-tax contributions does not have to be distributed to me but rather it can be rolled over into the new tax defered accounted??

>> Now, when you eventually cash-out your old 401(k) assets, the entire
>> account balance minus the post-tax contributions is "rollable" into
>> a Rollover IRA or potentially a new 401(k) plan at a new employer. The
>> post-tax contributions themselves are not rollable and are returned to
>> you in cash as a non-taxable transaction.
>> TheBadger

> BADGER, does this mean that the interest earned on the post-tax
> contributions does not have to be distributed to me but rather
> it can be rolled over into the new tax defered accounted??

I can answer this one -- I did such a conversion just about a year ago.

I received a check representing all my post-tax contributions.

Another check went to the company where I opened my new IRA -- representing all my pre-tax contributions, matching contributions made by my company, all the accumulated earnings on those contributions and the accumulated earnings on my post-tax contributions.

So the answer to your question is "yes," except I wouldn't apply the word "interest" to the earnings. Those earnings essentially had to be included in the amount transferred into the IRA -- if not, I would have owed income tax and a 10% penalty. Guess you knew that...

Phooley
I can answer this one -- I did such a conversion just about a year ago.

I received a check representing all my post-tax contributions.

Another check went to the company where I opened my new IRA -- representing all my pre-tax contributions, matching contributions made by my company, all the accumulated earnings on those contributions and the accumulated earnings on my post-tax contributions.

So the answer to your question is "yes," except I wouldn't apply the word "interest" to the earnings.

Phooley, Thank you. That is what I thought and it nice to have it confirmed. Yes, you are correct. I should not have used "interest", earnings is better.
Absolutely; in fact earnings on after-tax monies will not be distributed to you unless you request it as it is a taxable event; whereas the return of after-tax contributions is a non-taxable event.

TheBadger