Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Based upon response advice in an earlier post, I decided to roll over my federal 401K into a traditional IRA and take about $20K out of my $179K balance to live on while I am unemployed. I looked at the law and the IRS advises a traditional IRA is available from a bank, savings and loan, or federally insured credit union.
I went into the Bank of America to roll my 401K into a traditional IRA but they offered a "CD / IRA" which had a specified term. The representative said she felt this was the traditional IRA.

Is this a traditional IRA?
If not, how do I get one?

I just passed the California bar after being unemployed for more than a year but it may take several months to find a job and I am almost out of cash (so I need to tap the 401K).
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.